cp3 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Linked Database

Hi all,

I have a database that's linked (front end and back end) and there is a sub form that's been giving me an interesting error. It only has an ID number column (required and primary key), date, and notes. The database was recently migrated from one drive to a different one (G to E) and now whenever I try to put data into this sub form it gives me an error in the ID column saying "you must enter a value in the tbl_notificationdetails2" for the ID field and wont let me put any info in. I tried to relink this table and it says "success" but when I try to open the table it gives me an invalid path way error with the G drive path, but when I hover over it with my mouse it shows E drive. Weird since its now on E but obviously still trying to direct through G, so I figure something is going on here with this? Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this so we can use this form again? Thanks!!

Hi
    Have you used the Linked Table Manager to relink the tables in the BE?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

cp3 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2021
    Yes I used the linked table manager in the Front end to relink, and it says success but then i try to open this table and it gives me a pathway error still with the previous pathway displayed from before. This is the only table wit this issues its weird.

Or do you mean I need to go into the backend to relink?

Any hardcoded references at all?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

cp3 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2021
    What do you mean by hardcoded references? Where would I find this?

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    I often move my db between home and office and links are obviously broken in doing so.

I use JStreet's relinker which can be found here https://jstreettech.com/developer-downloads/

Download the files and add them to your project. You add a function in your AutoExec macro which checks the links on startup.
    If they are broken you get a prompt to locate the backend(s). Very simple to set up and use. Even better it's free.
    It's also helpful during development as you can switch between test back ends and live data easily.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I suspect there is a reference somewhere to the wrong drive. This could be just about anywhere. One way to find such references might be to use the Database Documenter, choose forms/reports on the tabs for the documenter dialog to start with. Make sure you set properties and options such that you document code and control properties (so that you get the expressions used in calculated controls). Save the output as a Word file, then use Find feature in word to look for the problem phrase (perhaps that would be G:\). For forms, it might look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Documenter.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	50323

If the documents are too large, do them individually for forms/reports/macros/modules. I don't think you'd need to check tables, but if you find nothing and are searching in Word properly, then maybe tables will give you connection properties as well. Or you could post zipped copies of your fe and be here.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.