Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Remster is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365

How to limit permitted combinations in a junction table

I'm suffering from brain failure here. How, at the level of tables and relationships, do I limit the permitted combinations of values in SystemsContacts.Systems_ID and SystemsContacts.Contacts_ID to cases where Systems.Suppliers_ID and Contacts.Suppliers_ID contain the same value? The idea is that for each system there can be only one supplier and any number of contacts, but the contacts must work for the relevant supplier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-06-03 100330.png  

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I suggest you tell us about your "business" in simple, plain English terms.
    Sometimes we get too close to the problem and lose perspective.
    Also, just the process of writing the description of the "business rules" often clarifies things.
    The rules of the business are reflected in relationships in your database.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think I get it, but example data for allowed/not allowed would help. You'd handle this at the form level, not the table level, by using cascading combos. Your resulting contacts list would depend on what was chosen at the parent level.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think I get it, but example data for allowed/not allowed would help. You'd handle this at the form level, not the table level, by using cascading combos. Your resulting contacts list would depend on what was chosen at the parent level.
    Thanks, I can work out that solution easily enough. I'm just surprised nothing can be done at the level of tables and relationships. I think I've been away from Access for too long.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I suggest you tell us about your "business" in simple, plain English terms.
    Coming up ...

Windows 10 Office 365
    So we have a list of all the IT systems used within our organisation, and I think the list needs to be converted into a simple relational database, as per my original post. Among other things, the list records, for each system, the supplier for that system, and the contacts at the supplier for that system.

Each system can have only one supplier, but each supplier can be the supplier for multiple systems. Each contact can work for only one supplier, but each supplier can employ multiple contacts. Finally, each system can have multiple contacts, and each contact can be the contact for multiple systems (crucially, two systems with the same supplier needn't have the same contacts).

Here's a sample set of data, in the current list format:

System Supplier Contacts
    Davetronic I Dave's Systems Big Dave
    Davetronic II Dave's Systems Big Dave
    Little Dave
    Stevetronic Steve's Systems Big Steve

My puzzle is how, if at all, I can disallow the following combination at the level of tables and relationships (I know how to do it at the level of forms):

System Supplier Contacts
    Davetronic III Dave's Systems Big Steve

Windows 10 Office 365
    ?? Do you have a requirement to identify a Contact for a Supplier who is NOT a Supplied System contact??

Windows 10 Office 365
    ?? Do you have a requirement to identify a Contact for a Supplier who is NOT a Supplied System contact??
    It's acceptable, but not necessary, for the system to contain contacts who are unrelated to any system. Those contacts will just be redundant. Does that answer your question?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Does that answer your question?

Yes. I could not see any rationale for monitoring a Suppliers employees. That is, potential Contacts not related to one of your company's supplied systems.

It seems the only Contacts for which you have an interest is
    -those Supplier Contacts who are System Contacts.

So I don't think you need a separate Contact table.

From your perspective your primary interest is your System
    Consider System A that
    - was supplied by Supplier X and
    - has Contact Q as the current System A contact
    - can have additional System A contacts

Each of the Contacts that you are concerned with could be identified through:
    -given our System A
    -who is/are the current SupplierContact(s) [for System A..]

Windows 10 Office 365
    I might have misled you (unintentionally, of course). The purpose of a separate contacts table is to record details about each contact (name, email address, phone number, etc.) in a single location. I appreciate that my simplified description of our requirements makes it look as if only once piece of data is recorded for each contact, viz. their name.

That said, I can now see that it doesn't much matter which supplier a contact works for: if someone is entering a record for system A, for which the supplier is supplier B, and they select a contact who works for supplier C, that's just a special case of selecting the wrong contact. They could select the wrong contact even if they were restricted to selecting contacts who work for supplier B. Is that your feeling?

Windows 10 Office 365
    No, my concern was that you might be doing unnecessary effort maintaining a Supplier's employee list. You don't care who sweeps the floor or who updates security passes--your focus is the Contact/Contacts for the System you obtained from that Supplier.

Does this set up work for you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-04 190952.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	50316

I'd have:
    tblSystems: SystemID, SystemName, ...;
    tblSuppliers: SupplierID, SupplierName...;
    tblContacts: ContactID, ContactForename; ContactLastName, ...; -- This table will have full general contact info
    tblSystemSuppliers: SystemSupplierID, SystemID, SupplierID, ...;
    tblSupplierContacts: SupplierContactID: SupplierID, ContactID, ...) -- This table can have additional contact info specific for given supplier

Windows 10 Office 365
    Does this set up work for you?
    Doesn't that allow for only one contact per system? We don't need to know who sweeps the floor or who updates security passes, but we do need to know who handles the contract, who manages the helpdesk, who's an expert in such-and-such aspect of the system, and so on.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    I'd have:
    tblSystems: SystemID, SystemName, ...;
    tblSuppliers: SupplierID, SupplierName...;
    tblContacts: ContactID, ContactForename; ContactLastName, ...; -- This table will have full general contact info
    tblSystemSuppliers: SystemSupplierID, SystemID, SupplierID, ...;
    tblSupplierContacts: SupplierContactID: SupplierID, ContactID, ...) -- This table can have additional contact info specific for given supplier
    Out of curiosity, why would you include tblSystemSuppliers? I'd have thought that would be necessary only if a system could have more than one supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Remster View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you include tblSystemSuppliers? I'd have thought that would be necessary only if a system could have more than one supplier.
    Simply it is most general design! You can drop it, and add SupplierID field to systems table, but consider a scenario, where at some point you change the supplier for some system (e.g. previous supplier did go bankrupt). You can link a new supplier into systems table, but it means you lose all history, or your history will be wrong (attached to wrong supplier). Having tblSystemSuppliers table, with fields to identify links validity/validity period, allows to avoid such possible problems in future - and all this without any need to redesign the database.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.