DBenz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Cannot open database created with previous version ...does access 2010 work on win10 ?

Hi,
    I have many .mdb access files created with Access 2010 on win xp then win7.
    Msoft have decided that .mdb receive this message:-
    Cannot open database created with previous version

though the dbase does in fact open, I get that again when I add a record.

but another (no pics) I have been opening and adding to since Nov2022 ok.

Googling it sees suggestion open Access 97 then open the mdb and save it as .accdb or open access 2000 and so same.

I dont have access 97 or 2000 and surely opening such onto win10 64 bit pro wont work anyway as they were not designed for win10.

Why havent Msoft made Access backward compatible, expecting folk to obtain a previous version and try to get it to run on win10 is madness.

so now what do I do ?

Installing access 2010 would mean messing about with volume licencing stuff which proved a nightmare just to get Office 2013 installed. 3 weeks in fact of calls and so on.

I bet they dont allow 2010 and 2013 on same PC !

Will it mess with access 2013 on same pc ?

so does access 2010 work on win10 64 bit pro ?

Can I install it without having to mess with registering it , just install and be done.

I will have to find all my databases and convert them all. they feature photos and emblems, clever stuff, will saving them as .accdb support all that, one broken code and I am stuffed.

DBenz

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Your post is not clear - access 2010 creates .accdb files not .mdb

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Significant software changes that radically alter the basic architecture are seldom supported by anyone. Don't blame M$ for not providing the wherewithal to open files from almost 30 years ago - practically everybody cuts ties at some point. If such capability was engineered into programs, the complaint would then be about the cost of the software. It's on the software owner to keep up with the changes.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I have a mdb created in 2003, and amended in 2007. Not sure if I had to save as 2007 or not.
    I have multiple 2007 accdbs that work perfectly fine on Win10 be it 32 bit or 64 bit.

If you want them converted, I am happy to do it for you.?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Hi,
    Don't blame M$ for not providing the wherewithal to open files from almost 30 years ago
    I was not using access 30 yrs ago, earliest use I see is 29 oct 2000.
    Not sure what version I had in use then.
    I have been using access 2010 for many years
    Your post is not clear - access 2010 creates .accdb files not .mdb
    Well I have been using Access 2010 for many years and its opened and saved my .mdb files many times, as .mdb

I have searched my pc for .accdb and find none of my databases I commonly use are as such.
    I have never had a problem with any databases, Access 2010 opened AND saved them, never saying anything about .accdb or any warnings.
    Here is a table with mod dates, and earliest dates. If I take a dbase and alter the image types from .wmf to .png I resave it as new name, so it gets a new creation date.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Msoft Access file dates mdb and accdb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	50261
    If Access 2010 had said about .accdb then I would have saved them as such, but it opened .mdb and saved as .mdb so I never was the wiser.
    And I bet other users also had the same, as long as files open and save they don’t go about fixing what works.

But now Access 2013 complains, so what do I have to do ?

Cheers

DBenz

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Modern versions of Access including can open/edit/create old Access MDB databases in Access 2000 or later format.
    However the default format has been ACCDB since A2007.

You can have multiple versions of Access on the same workstation although its not recommended.
    See Installing Multiple Office Versions (isladogs.co.uk)

However, several features were deprecated in Access 2013. See my article A Trip Down Memory Lane (isladogs.co.uk)
    The most important feature that was dropped was probably pivot charts.
    If relevant you will need to remove such features before the database will be functional in A2013.
    If you have changed from 32-bit Office to 64-bit, there may be additional issues to deal with
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    The default in A2010 was to create an .accdb, but you could save as a .mdb
    If you copied an existing MDB changed it and saved it as a different database it would still be in .mdb file format, unless you told Access to convert it.

However, 2013 can no longer open or convert the old Access 97 files. For that you have to use Access 2010 or earlier. More info below
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rs=en-us&ad=us
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

when you first open any .mdb file in access 2010 it would have told you it was an earlier version and give you the opportunity to upgrade .accdb. If you don't take that option, it doesn't ask again.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    when you first open any .mdb file in access 2010 it would have told you it was an earlier version and give you the opportunity to upgrade .accdb. If you don't take that option, it doesn't ask again.
    Hi, I would have reacted and explored that, it never did that, honest.

I either must now install Just Access 2010 onto my new PC, and risk problems, as that article is full of potential issues, it also says install the old one first, I am not ripping out access 2013 !....or acquire/borrow a win 10 or win7 PC with a D drive, ( as all linked files are D drive) and all saves are to D drive,...and install access 2010 to that, open up ALL my .mdb files and save them as .accdb

that way I avoid messing up what has taken me 6 months to build.

I have got my old Mbd and C drive SSD, and old HDD with the access files on it. but no psu, I have an old tower with an old psu might work, but I have done my back in so such messing about is out of the question.

will haveto get help from my PC pit crew, or a friend if I can drive to him, cant get in car at the mo.

If only access 2010 had warned me, IT NEVER DID.

DBenz

Suggest create a virtual machine on your new machine. Install any version of windows from xp upwards then install 2010. Note that 2010 is no longer supported so that may not possible. Assuming it is possible Make sure you install the 32bit version.

or find someone who is still using 2010

Suggest create a virtual machine on your new machine. Install any version of windows from xp upwards then install 2010. Note that 2010 is no longer supported so that may not possible. Assuming it is possible Make sure you install the 32bit version.

or find someone who is still using 2010
    Hi
    Just so happens my PC pit crew have come across folk with same issue, and are to use their 2010 to resave all my .mdb's as .accdb.

What is interesting is I can open a dbase featuring images in 2013, and go save as .accdb, but then it comes up with that warning again , and there may be a table related to this dBase that needs to be .accdb first. he says.

Hopefully if its opened in A2010 such will not happen, and saved as .accdb such will still not happen afterwards.

He is to try and sort this all out.

As long as he has a D drive, as all are linked to images and other dbases maybe , all on D drive.

I dont recall these Dbases using other .mdb files, all very much self contained. yes a form within a form, but the tables are all in the one .mdb

I hope Access 2013 doesnt decide my fully functional databases are beyond its capablilties. redesigning is not an option.

as for a confidential one though, I use all the time, featuring all my passwords etc, ...I am not fiddling with virtual stuff on new PC, not risking any messing up of 6 months build.

access 2013 opens that .mdb and allows me to add records and saves it as .mdb !

I have just saved it now as .accdb !

so that breaks all the apparent rules.

I then open my books dbase, and save as .accdb, though it warns me it cannot find a .wmf image I use for blanks for no entry . It then saves it.

I COULD PERHAPS DO ALL THESE MYSELF ! Access 2013 WILL OPEN .MDB
    maybe just the first one needs access 2010 to solve it.

How do I go about fixing that, as I get the same warning for my images dbase as well. I didnt know my books dbase featured the blanking.wmf image.

I had to change all my .wmf emblems to .png years ago, somehow I have a .wmf in use. I need to find that .wmf and find where it is used, and marry them up, changing it to .png when I do so.

Any quick way of finding out where a particular .wmf is in use ?

DBenz

Do you mean dbase a completely different application to access which access can link to? Or do you mean the access database?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-235f154c1284

Do you mean dbase a completely different application to access which access can link to? Or do you mean the access database?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-235f154c1284
    I mean an Access dbase. I only have Access Dbases, all my often used ones being .mdb

I see the blank image.wmf exists as a .png in the address it (Access warning) refers to, I need to find where the .wmf is in use in the access dbase and repath it to the .png one. (just change its file extension.)

any quick way of finding it ?

What it is , its a code blank (a yellow image with the word blank) for where an aircraft code is not known, just to indicate nothing is known, rather than have no entry in the code image place.

Cheers

DBenz

if it is referenced in vba then you can use find/replace to look through the whole project

if it is hard-coded to an image control, table or query field you would need to write some code to loop through these objects to inspect the control source and picture properties of the former and the default and actual values of each table/query. Given what the image portrays, I'm pretty sure you can limit your search - plus if you get an error, you should be able to go straight to where the error is

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would probably try using the Access documenter (Ribbon>Database Tools?) if it isn't found using ctrl+F in vba editor. In documenter options, select all reports and forms and choose to see data sources for everything. Run a report, copy & paste to Word and use ctrl+F in Word to find the name of the wmf. Without actually looking at the documenter options I'm only going by memory so I might have overlooked something in the suggestion.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.