ExcessionOCP is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 11 Office 365

Pull a value from a separate query into a report, using a field in the report as a parameter

Apologies for the long-winded question.

I am capturing how much our company spends within specific cost categories (Capital expenditure, materials, resource etc.) and then reporting on it. I have a report that shows a summary of the spend in each category, grouped by the category, with the total for each category shown in a footer. My report is reading values from a form that allows the user to specify a particular project and work package within that project to report on.

Each category has a budget, and that budget differs between projects, and between different work packages within a project. I have a separate table that records each budget for each category in each work package and project.

I would like to show the budget for each category as a field in my report, so that I can then create a calculated field which displays the amount left to spend, using the summary shown in my report.

So, for each grouped category in the report, I would like to have a field that queries my budget table and returns the relevant budget for that category, using the category field in my report as a parameter in my query - is it possible to reference a report field in a query in the same way that you can reference a field in a form? (using the [Forms]![...] syntax)?

Hopefully someone can a) understand my question and b) offer some advice

Thanks very much in advance

Best to join in the recordsource if you can.
    Else use DLookUp().
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Can you post a copy of your db
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.