Rated047 is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Creating an Employee Daily Present/Absent Pie Chart From Leave Table

I have a table named Employees and another table named EmpLeaves. Employees table holds all employee information while EmpLeaves is updated via a form and it has columns; EmpID, LeaveID and [Start Date].

I want to create a pie chart is a form which shows the number of employees present and absent for the current date. If there is a record for the employee in the EmpLeave table for the current date then they should be considered absent, otherwise if a record on the current date does not exist then present.

I need help with creating the table/query that will be the source for the pie chart. I can't seem to find a way to filter the employees who are present.

madpiet is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated047 View Post
    I have a table named Employees and another table named EmpLeaves. Employees table holds all employee information while EmpLeaves is updated via a form and it has columns; EmpID, LeaveID and [Start Date].
    I want to create a pie chart is a form which shows the number of employees present and absent for the current date. If there is a record for the employee in the EmpLeave table for the current date then they should be considered absent, otherwise if a record on the current date does not exist then present.

I need help with creating the table/query that will be the source for the pie chart. I can't seem to find a way to filter the employees who are present.
    I think you're missing some pieces. Wouldn't the EmplLeave table have (EmpID, StartDate, EndDate) ? Then If you have a Calendar table (basically one record per date for a range of dates), you can cross join Employee and Calendar and then subtract EmpLeave.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You did not give us enough info to be able to help you. A leave should have a start date and an end date; if the current day (=Date() or today) is between the Start and End dates of a leave then that employee is absent; if today's date is outside that range then they are present.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Then you have to consider employee hire and terminations, unless you completely delete employee. Count total employees employed on specified date and subtract absentees.

See if this gets you on path:

EmpLeave.zip

PS: Since chart data is limited to a single date, its RowSource can be simplified to: SELECT [Cat], [Data] FROM [Chart] WHERE CalendarDate=tbxDate;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 11 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by madpiet View Post
    I think you're missing some pieces. Wouldn't the EmplLeave table have (EmpID, StartDate, EndDate) ? Then If you have a Calendar table (basically one record per date for a range of dates), you can cross join Employee and Calendar and then subtract EmpLeave.
    Yes sorry I do have EndDate as well but it made a vba code that adds the dates separately avoiding weekends (eg. if a leave is from 9th to 13th march 2023, then it would create separate records for March 9,12,13 as Friday and Saturday are weekends for us)

Windows 11 Office 365
    @June7 Thanks this helps a lot but may I ask is it a must to have the calendar table and should it have all the dates in the calendar year?

June7 is online now VIP
    Calendar table required and must have at least a record for the date of interest. If only one record, textbox is not needed (except as a title for chart, bind form to Calendar table) and chart RowSource could be further simplified.

SELECT [Cat],[Data] FROM [Chart];
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 11 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Then you have to consider employee hire and terminations, unless you completely delete employee. Count total employees employed on specified date and subtract absentees.

EmpLeave.zip

PS: Since chart data is limited to a single date, its RowSource can be simplified to: SELECT [Cat], [Data] FROM [Chart] WHERE CalendarDate=tbxDate;

I am not familiar with the charts, but it seems to take a long time to load. Is there a way to make it load faster? Also the outlines are not very smooth.

Windows 11 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

EmpLeave.zip

Is it possible to do this with the Insert Modern Chart option?

June7 is online now VIP
    Probably slow because of Cartesian product nature of the two base queries which can cause slow performance in large datasets. The only way I could see to speed up would use VBA and temp table.

I don't have Modern Chart available so can only guess would work but data manipulation would likely be same.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.