twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Refresh just the current record, is it possible?

I'm designing an Entity table (holds people, business, etc.) that will have (later in production) hundreds of thousands of records.

The Form for Entity has a SQL source that limits the recordset to a few dozen local and active records.
    An attached Search command button is used to find a particular record.
    Authorized users can use the Entity form to VIEW records.
    Fewer authorized users can EDIT the Entity record.

A locking procedure(s) I wrote a prohibits a user from EDITing if the record is locked,
    in which case they can wait (keep pressing the EDIT command button until it unlocks) or move on to another record.

Because many users will use this form, and may all have it open for extended times;
    If a user is going to edit, I want the newest data if the record was locked or even if it wasn't seen as locked by this user (they were viewing a previous record and just now moved to one that was modified) when just VIEWing or starting EDITing.

I'm looking for a way to REFRESH just the current record and not requery or refresh the entire recordset (trying to cut down on network traffic while not waiting for the refresh interval to trigger).

Is there a way to REFRESH just a particular record in the Private Sub Form_Current() procedure?
    (I searched around here and in Google and couldn't find this mentioned)
    Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Not related to refresh, but here is a link to an article/approach/queuing to locking records by Philipp Stiefel that may be of interest or reference regarding locking records for edit.

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021
    @ Orange Thanks, that's an interesting article. The topic I've dealt with before in other apps in a similar manner (some 40 years ago). (The trick he missed in the article, is putting a lock on the lock table itself (using an iterative procedure), when a record is checked for availability, and later releasing for other lock checks/saves. This eliminates the need for lots of extra code, as a good locking routine will allow for locking a table as well as a record.)

My question is much simpler and focuses on refreshing a record in Access forms before someone starts working on it, regardless of what brought them to the record, queue or regular work flow.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.