RMAL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Subreport not showing on master report it has when no records

I have a Master Report that has 4 subreports. The Master report actually has nothing other than a header and the 4 subreports in its details section. In that sense, the Master is not much more than a container for the subreports.

My intent is that each of the 4 subreports would print in the order they appear in the detail section of the master report, with no page break between them -- that is, when subreport #1 finishes showing all its records, start showing the 2nd subreport and so on. I have this working just fine.

My problem is when any of the subreports has no data, the entire subreport doesn't show when the master is run -- I just see an annoying gap with nothing on it, and then the next subreport starts (assuming it has records to show). What I would like to have happen is this: If any of the 4 subreports has no data, show that subreport's Report Header, perhaps with a new label I can now make visible that says "No Data" or something similar.

Many thanks in advance

Look at the NoData event of the subreport
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    AFAIK, sub report control is invisible if no data and there is nothing you can do to change that. Most suggestions seem to be about making a textbox(es) or label(s) visible in its place when there's no data.

EDIT- of course, using OnNoData event still applies.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

RMAL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    It looks like the NODATA event cannot be triggered from a subreport, at least that's what Microsoft says (See the Remarks section here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/of....report.nodata )
    If I just run my report by itself, then the NODATA event is triggered. But when I run the master report using that same report as a subreport within the master report, the event is not triggered. Nor can I use the NoData event from the master report -- it has no record source to check (just a bunch of sub reports) so the event cannot be triggered.

If there's a solution to this, it has to come from somewhere else.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    OK, I stand corrected. However, if sub report control (thus the report it's supposed to hold) doesn't show, then your OP has the answer (except you can't show the sub header). But you can show controls that might replicate it, or just a label stating there's no data to show for "whatever"? So in the main report Load event (untested):
    If Me.subReportName.Report.HasData = False Then SomeLabelName.Visible = True
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Could you please show us the master and the four subreports in design view? Can you try to make the subreports really short (height-wise) and close together so if one is missing you don't get a big gap (set the Can Grow property to Yes)?

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.