Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thekiwi View Post
    Thanks guys! Truly appreciate this. Glad it was obvious where I'm coming from as well.
    You are, of course, quite right; try as I do, I'm still firmly set in spreadsheets. Not by choice, simply that it was a natural progression to Access after I was finding Excel inadequate.
    What you have, isn't efficient even for spreadsheet. It is more like some paper table from somewhere 19. century.

In properly designed Excel workbook, you'd have separate tables which define uniquely all your aircrafts, units, and categories/categorie causes - with some ID column in each of them, and probably a table where are listed all units for every aircaraft (with columns for aircraft and unit ID's) and full info about those units (like category causes, in/out dates, authorites, etc.). Plus some report sheet(s), where user sets report conditions, and matching report table is calculated.

You must avoid entering any detailed information repeatedly whenever this is possible (and in Excel it is possible too)!

madpiet is online now Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Flights is going to be fun.

Aircraft--(1,M)--Flight (FlightID (PK), AircraftID (FK), flightDate, From, To...)--(1,M)---Crew(FlightID, PersonID, Role)--(M,1)--Person

one Aircraft can fly many flights, and for each one, the crew may consist of one or more personnel.

That way, you can calculate stuff like an airplane's flight time, and the flight time of individual members of a crew, etc. I would make sure my table design is right before doing a lot of form design. Test everything by writing queries and making sure the results are correct. it's easier to do with only a few child records (no more than 3) for each parent. You only need enough records to be sure that you can eyeball the results and know that they're correct before you spend a ton of time putting data in your database, and you can't get any answers from it.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    deleted - for some reason I was looking at the wrong post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.