DBS1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Filtering Multiple Option Groups in Form

I have a form named frmPayments that includes a subform called frmPaymentsSubForm. The subform is populated by a query called qryPayments. The form has 3 Option Groups with radio buttons as follows: 1)optTypePmt has fields (with radio buttons) called Cash and Cred, 2) optPmtStatus has fields called Pd and Unpd, and 3) optInvSent has fields Y and N. All fields are Y/N fields in the table and query. I've created an On Click event procedure for each of the option groups with the code below, and clicking the radio button in each option group filters that set of data fine, but when I click a radio button in another option group, I lose the filtering on the first group. I'd like to be able to set the form so I can filter based on the criteria from each of the option groups, or have the flexibility to leave one or more unfiltered. I've found a couple of places online that has referenced this, but I haven't been able to figure this out and apply it to my form. Below is the coding I have for the option groups.

First Option Group
    Private Sub optTypePmt

Dim strFilter As String

Select Case Me.[optTypePmt}

Case 1
    Forms!frmPayments!frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = False

Case 2
    strFilter = "[Cash] = -1"
    Forms!frmPayments!frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = strFilter
    Forms!frmPayments!frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = True

Case 3
    strFilter = "[Cred] = -1"

End Select

End Sub

Second Option Group
    Private Sub optPmtStatus

Dim strFilter As String

Select Case Me.[optPmtStatus}

Case 1

Case 2
    strFilter = "[Pd] = -1"

Case 3
    strFilter = "[Unpd] = -1"

End Select

End Sub

Third Option Group
    Private Sub optInvSent

Dim strFilter As String

Select Case Me.[optInvSent}

Case 1

Case 2
    strFilter = "[Y] = -1"

Case 3
    strFilter = "[N] = -1"

End Select

End Sub

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have one procedure with all 3 Select Case structures to build strFilter:
    strFilter = strFilter & "[Y] = -1 AND "

Then set the Filter and FilterOn properties outside the Case structures.

Code:

'each Select Case structure - Case 1 would not do anything

'now set the form properties
    If strFilter <> "" Then
    Forms!frmPayments!frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = Left(strFilter, Len(strFilter) - 5)
    End If
    For more guidance on building filter criteria string, review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

Having pairs of fields like Cash and Credit, Pd and Unpd, Y and N is redundant. Assuming each pair is mutually exclusive (cannot be both Cash and Credit), a single field is better: IsCredit, IsPaid, IsY. These can be Yes/No fields or text or number. More on this topic from Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/NoYesNo.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    June7, thanks for the quick reply. Your comments on the field structure are duly noted and I'll keep it in mind in the future. I'm not very fluent in VBA, but know just enough to get by through trial and error (most of the time). I'm not sure exactly where this code goes though. Once I figure that out, I'll try it.

June7 is offline VIP
    Have code in button click event - did you review Allen's tutorial?

Or have code in a procedure that can be called by each control's AfterUpdate event.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. I'll try that. I did look through the Allen Brown tutorial. I understand most of what I read, however where I'm having difficulty is getting the three option groups to filter together.

June7 is offline VIP
    They work together by having code to build strFilter in one procedure with whatever controls are used to select criteria: combobox, listbox, textbox, option group - doesn't matter.

CarlettoFed is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Code:
    Private Sub optTypePmt_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub Private Sub optPmtStatus_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub Private Sub optInvSent_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub Private Sub DataFilter() Dim strFilter As String
    If Me.optTypePmt > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optTypePmt = 2, " AND [Cash]", "[Cred]") & " = True" If Me.optPmtStatus > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optPmtStatus = 2, " AND [Pd]", "[Unpd]") & " = True" If Me.optInvSent > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optInvSent = 2, " AND [Y]", "[N]") & " = True" If strFilter = "" Then
    Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = "" Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = Filter
    Else
    Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = Mid(strFilter, 6) Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = True
    End If
    End Sub

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Where would I place this code? Obviously outside of the Option Groups since I have 3 of them and this needs to be inside of one procedure?
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Have one procedure with all 3 Select Case structures to build strFilter:
    strFilter = strFilter & "[Y] = -1 AND "
    This goes in the Click event procedure for the button used to filter, correct?
    Then set the Filter and FilterOn properties outside the Case structures.

Code:

'each Select Case structure - Case 1 would not do anything

'now set the form properties
    If strFilter <> "" Then
    Forms!frmPayments!frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = Left(strFilter, Len(strFilter) - 5)
    End If

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi CarlettoFed. Thanks for your reply. This is a little different from what June7 suggested, but I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'll try both to see how they work, but have a few questions about the code. Is the DataFilter referenced in each of the Option Group events the name of the command button used to filter? I have a button called cmdFilter, so would I use that instead of DataFilter?
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlettoFed View Post
    Code:
    Private Sub optTypePmt_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub Private Sub optPmtStatus_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub Private Sub optInvSent_AfterUpdate()
    DataFilter
    End Sub
    If DataFilter is the name of the filter button as I assume above, then I'm assuming this is the code that goes into the event procedure, correct?
    Code:
    Private Sub DataFilter()
    Dim strFilter As String
    If Me.optTypePmt > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optTypePmt = 2, " AND [Cash]", "[Cred]") & " = True" If Me.optPmtStatus > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optPmtStatus = 2, " AND [Pd]", "[Unpd]") & " = True" If Me.optInvSent > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & IIf(Me.optInvSent = 2, " AND [Y]", "[N]") & " = True" If strFilter = "" Then
    Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = "" Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = Filter
    Else
    Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = Mid(strFilter, 6) Me.frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = True
    End If
    End Sub

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    DataFilter is a simplified call to the procedure with that name:
    Private Sub DataFilter()
    You don't need to use the Call statement unless you want to return a value to something in that line of code. Then it's a different syntax.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Micron. That helps. I've got it partially working now, but it's not recognizing values 3 in each group and I forgot to include value 4 in optTypePmt, which is [ATM]. It looks like I need to extend the IIf statement to include values 3 for all and value 4 for optTypePmt. Is that correct? Once I get this figured out I think it will be working like it should. This is where I need help. What I have now is

If Me.optTypePmt > 1 then strFilter = strFilter & IIf (Me.optTypePmt = 2, " AND [Cash]", "[Cred]") & " = True"

How would I add the additional part of the code to inlcude [ATM]? Would that be an additional IIf statement such as IIf(Me.optTypePmt = 3?

June7 is offline VIP
    Could have nested IIf() expression or use Switch(). Another trick to learn is to wrap code block with With Me and don't have to repeat all those Me references. Carletto's code is basically what I suggested but think has an error in the concatenation of " AND ". Whether " AND " is concatenated at beginning or end doesn't matter as long as extraneous " AND " is dealt with. Also, set FilterOn to True or False.
    Code:
    With Me
    If .optTypePmt > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & " AND " & Switch(.optTypePmt = 2, "[Cash]", .optTypePmt = 3, "[Cred]", .optTypePmt = 4, "[ATM]") & "=True"
    If .optPmtStatus > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & " AND " & IIf(.optPmtStatus = 2, "[Pd]", "[Unpd]") & "=True"
    If .optInvSent > 1 Then strFilter = strFilter & " AND " & IIf(.optInvSent = 2, "[Y]", "[N]") & "=True"
    If strFilter = "" Then
        .frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = ""
        .frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = False
    Else
        .frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.Filter = Mid(strFilter, 6)
        .frmPaymentsSubForm.Form.FilterOn = True
    End If
    End With

Windows 10 Access 2016
    June7 thank you very much. That code did the trick. No way I could have figured this out without the help of you, Catletto, and Micron. I appreciate your patience and quick accurate responses.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.