Appl321 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Dialog box associated to Form

Data in text field located on CONTACTS form. Would like to have a Dialog box pop up on my screen showing select text fields from the CONTACTS form whenever I bring a client record up. I was thinking I could create another form with select CONTACTS text fields location on it in locked (read only) format. The problem is the data represented on the Dialog box pop up does not match the client data of the selected contact (it matches the first client entry in the data sheet). Not sure how to connect the CONTACTS form data to the dialog box. Also, to make things more difficult, my companies corporate security prevents me from using macros so I only have "macro builder" to assist.

Any help is appreciated

When you say 'macros' do you mean VBA or actual macros?
    Macros are different in Access.

Not sure how you could without some code?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The record in the main form has a unique field (maybe autonumber id)? Then if you open the dialog, filter its records to match the id value. That value will be the record id for the active/selected record of the main form.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If you are forced to use macros, your choices are limited. Google ‘access openform’ one of the parameters is where. Populate it with something like

“customerfk = “ & me.customerpk

dont know whether your table structure is correct so substitute your field names

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Can't go that route, VBA isn't permitted by employer. Thanks for the attempt

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Yes, I mean VBA.. not permitted to use it as the commands have been disabled. Thank you for your time

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    The record in the main form has a unique field (maybe autonumber id)? Then if you open the dialog, filter its records to match the id value. That value will be the record id for the active/selected record of the main form.
    That makes a lot of sense... You are correct, the database has a "ID". When I open the dialog popup and view FORM properties under the Data tab, I see the option "Filter". I placed the word "ID" in it and I get a similar behavior as if the filter field wasn't populated

Windows 8 Access 2016
    let me give you some background... The Table is called "Contacts" that feeds a Form called "Contact Details". I work off of Contact Details and feed data into it. One of the text box data entries is called "Future Tasks and Details". My goal is to have another form in dialog pop up format that has the data from "Future Tasks and Details" when I enter each client record on the "Contact Details" form. My challenge is that the Dialog pop-up isn't syncing with the "ID" the is referenced in the "Contacts Details" form. It's actually syncing with the first row of the Contacts Table. Yes, the ID is an autonumber.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You don't provide the name of the field, you provide the value of it in the current record. Don't think you can do this from the ribbon unless you know the id value, and normally this isn't made visible to the user since it often is a source of confusion.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I’m well aware you can’t go that route but there is very little support for access macros on line.
    if you weren’t so dismissive you would find access macros use the same openform structure

Quote Originally Posted by Appl321 View Post
    let me give you some background... The Table is called "Contacts" that feeds a Form called "Contact Details". I work off of Contact Details and feed data into it. One of the text box data entries is called "Future Tasks and Details". My goal is to have another form in dialog pop up format that has the data from "Future Tasks and Details" when I enter each client record on the "Contact Details" form. My challenge is that the Dialog pop-up isn't syncing with the "ID" the is referenced in the "Contacts Details" form. It's actually syncing with the first row of the Contacts Table. Yes, the ID is an autonumber.
    Well without *some* code to tell Access which record you want, I think you are out of luck.? Even if possible in some way, it will cripple the ease of development.
    Bit much asking someone to do something and not give them the tools to do it?

FYI it is not 'syncing' with the first record in the table, it is the just the first record in the table in whatever order it is held.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I created a macro (not a procedure) that I can run and open a form filtered to what the active record is in another form. The main form is a continuous form. If I'm on record id 3 it opens the 2nd form to that record. If on 4, then opened form is filtered to record id 4 and so on. So I maintain it's doable. The question is whether or not macros will run in such a restricted environment. I have seen posts were OP's IT restricted code but not macros.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-04-2023 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarification

I have seen posts were OP's IT restricted code but not macros.
    Yes, that sounds about right for most IT depts I have known.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.