Ian120 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Conditoinal Formatting codes

Hi all, I am trying to make a conditional formatting that the field should be highlighted in red when the number entered is not an integer. I know this requires some codes so I tried something from my Excel experience. I tried to input the codes into the conditional formatting cells for Field Value is not equal to: "IsInterger([field])" , didnt work. "IsNumber([field])" didn't work as well. The system gives me no error message though.

To take a step further, is there a way to highlight the text box when the number entered is not a multiple of a certain value or zero? Like if I want the value to be 1.5, then the text box will be highlighted when the input is not 0, 1.5, 3, 4.5 etc.

Thanks guys! Really appreciated!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I tried to input the codes into the conditional formatting cells for Field Value is not equal to: "IsInterger([field])" , didnt work. "IsNumber([field])" didn't work as well.
    Try: Int([Field])<>[Field]
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    And for the other requirement try:
    [Field] Mod 1.5 <> 0
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ian120 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    I am not sure why but now both fields turn red when input is non-zero.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    probably a typo - perhaps show your code?

and your field type and any formatting of the field. If a double then it is quite possible what you see as 1 is actually stored as 1.00000001

Ian120 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Hi all, thanks for being patient with me. The pictures below show the settings I used. I may be misunderstanding something from the earlier replies. Not sure. On the other hand, the fields are double with auto decimal places. I am using double since I want to input decimals, the default (I forgot which one) did not allow decimals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access_8.png  

CJ_London is online now VIP
    it's almost certainly your use of a double - the auto setting affects what you see, not the underlying value. Leave the format property blank, see what values you really have

if that is the case try

int([stc18_h])<>round([stc18_h],1)

perhaps change the 1 to a 2 or 3 in necessary

note that if stc18_h can be negative then int effectively rounds down e.g. in the immediate window
    ?int(-1.2)

but may not matter for this requirement

June7 is online now VIP
    The expressions are returning a True or False. Most likely the field values are neither True nor False (-1, 0). Instead of Field Value Is, use Expression Is.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ian120 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks for the help guys. The integer check works well after I changed the Field Value is to Expression is, with the same codes up there. However, the check for multiple of 1.5 doesn't work. The whole line is now: Expression is [STC18_W] Mod 1.5 <> 0. The results are that the field wouldn't turn red no matter what I enter. I am sure I clicked 'Apply' before closing the window.

For the concern of being Double. The Format property was already blank as I left it. The "Field Size" is Double, "Format" is blank, while "Decimal Places" is Auto. The following rows are all empty until "Required" is YES as I set it, "Indexed" is No, and Text Align is General. I am not sure where to check the underlying values though.

Last but not least, could you explain what the codes actually mean? Int([Field])<>[Field] means the integer of the value is equal to its entered value? So Expression is Int([Field])<>[Field] will trigger the conditional formatting when it is not, i.e the entered value is not an integer?

June7 is online now VIP
    Correct. If field value is 15.4 that is not equal to 15 so it is not an integer.

Issue with MOD might be related to CJ's post #5

Want to provide db for analysis?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.