Vita is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2002

SQL statement sorted by Thorn('þ')?

In short I am trying to reverse engineer how a close source program modifies tables by using microsofts SQL profilier and in one of the SQL select statements it says the following
    Code:
    WHERE [SequenceNo] = 'þ';
    (Note: I am omitting some parameters but its all basic stuff like order number etc that I know where its getting the info from.)

I am hoping this provides me the answer of how the program selects which sequence number to write because otherwise the program does not seem to pull that information from anywhere.

Can anyone explain what it means to sort by Thorn(þ)?
    If it helps, when I look at the SequenceNo column the values are all like "000000", "000001", "000002", and a few that go higher.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Access sorts on numbers or letters.

Sorting the letter ÞORN (evertype.com)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    That clause does not determine sort order, it is filter criteria. 'þ' does not look like data in SequenceNo field so I don't understand what it is supposed to accomplish.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Access sorts on numbers or letters.

Sorting the letter ÞORN (evertype.com)
    I'm reading this and I got so lost. What I gathered is it should be either between T and U or after Z. I'm not sure this helps me in finding out how it is filling in the SequenceNo.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    That clause does not determine sort order, it is filter criteria. 'þ' does not look like data in SequenceNo field so I don't understand what it is supposed to accomplish.
    I don't either. I am very confused by it which is why I am here haha. I just want to figure out how it selects a SequenceNo. The tickets don't have any sort of SequenceNo and the program doesn't seem to have one either but the SQL profiler only saw it select from these tables.

Hopefully someone has an answer.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    I took the SQL and put it into a query in Access with the table linked and nothing comes up. I'm stumped on how it chooses the SequenceNo.
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM [ExampleTable] WHERE [SequenceNo] = 'þ';

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by "SQL profiler"? What do you mean by "close source program"? If you can view code, how is it closed?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    What do you mean by "SQL profiler"? What do you mean by "close source program"? If you can view code, how is it closed?
    by SQL Profiler I mean the tool inside Microsoft SQL. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sq...l-server-ver16
    I can't view its code, only the interactions it has with the SQL server hence the closed source program.

You might be familiar with that other project that I was doing to scan worktickets? This is the same project.
    The closed source program has tons of tools and my project is to just recreate the one tool.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    by SQL Profiler I mean the tool inside Microsoft SQL. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sq...l-server-ver16
    I can't view its code, only the interactions it has with the SQL server hence the closed source program.

You might be familiar with that other project that I was doing to scan worktickets? This is the same project.
    The closed source program has tons of tools and my project is to just recreate the one tool.
    I don't believe this does anything and I found out how the SequenceNo Works. It is basically a daily unique ID.

check out on your SQL server database -> programmability -> sequences if there is a sequence defined

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.