agreen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

relationship for sub-table

Hi all I am trying to create a database for my sister, who is doing B2B hemming. I am having issues figuring out how to get multiple services for a single item, the relationship keeps connecting the one-to-many in the wrong direction (see image) can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? The basics are, an order with the items (one to many), and the services for those items (many to one).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dbCapture.JPG  

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you had 5 records in service, each and everyone of them can appear in the item record for one item. However, that would mean repeating all the fields 5 times for one item. You need what's known as a junction table instead of service table. I'd call it ItemServices. Sticking with the 5 services example, there would be 5 records with the same ItemID and 5 different servicetypeID. If the table has a PK autonumber id, I don't see it being joined to anything.

Your pk fields should reflect the table they belong to, so itemTypeID (or itemTypeIDfk and itemTypeIDpk), not itemID as that implies it relates to the item table.
    ID makes for a poor table name IMO. Maybe clear today, but wait until you have to tweak things 6 months from now.
    Last edited by Micron; 01-19-2023 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.