Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I access the settings for Microsoft Access?

I was recently hired (volunteer) as the IT person for an organization and was not shown how certain software was set up. One being Microsoft Access, of which I don't know the version of (maybe 2007?). I cannot locate a normal executable of Access and can only open a shortcut that opens up a Switchboard in Access. This Switchboard and Print Settings are the only two things that can be interacted with. The Switchboard can open up specific reports, data files, etc.

For some reason, when the EOY Report box is clicked on, it gives an error message.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-10 124303.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	49478

Now I am unable to resolve this because the Switchboard is the only thing that opens up with Access - and as I said - I cannot find the normal executable file for Access anywhere in This PC, nor can I access any other settings besides Print Settings. It does not matter which computer I am on either.
    Last edited by machinegod9000; 01-11-2023 at 12:19 PM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What is the file extension of this Access file?

If you cannot find Access installed, look for AccessRuntime. This allows Access files to run without full-blown Access. Cannot modify design or code, just open db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What is the file extension of this Access file?
    It is a .lnk file.

I may have found a normal executable for Access. I tried to open it, but it gives an error.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-10 131212.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	49479

I cannot seem to find any runtime file.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    If you right click on the shortcut does it give you options of opening file location or show a path to the executable?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Do a search in Windows File Explorer to find any file (Access.exe moves around in different OS versions). I think you would have to open a db that doesn't barf in order to know the version. Ink is just a shortcut.
    If you can open the file in question here and not interact with the report, can you see a ribbon or a menubar?
    Last edited by Micron; 01-10-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Need to determine extension of file the shortcut is opening. The Target file. I have a shortcut that opens .accdb file. Look at properties of the shortcut.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Just curious what happens if you hold down the shift key while opening the link (hold it until the file finishes loading). Do you see anything different or just the same switchboard form? What happens if you right-click anywhere on the switchboard, do you get any menus such as Design View?

From the error it looks like the report name is misspelled either in the macro or the VBA code that opens it or it has been deleted (there is a spelling error in the label) but to solve that you need to see the switchboard in design view.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moke123 View Post
    If you right click on the shortcut does it give you options of opening file location or show a path to the executable?
    It does. The file location is in one of the network folders that multiple clients have access to. Target file extension is .mdb.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Do a search in Windows File Explorer to find any file (Access.exe moves around in different OS versions).
    The search finds nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    If you can open the file in question here and not interact with the report, can you see a ribbon or a menubar?
    The only settings the top-left menu shows are the Print Settings.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-11 101121.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	49482

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Need to determine extension of file the shortcut is opening. The Target file. I have a shortcut that opens .accdb file. Look at properties of the shortcut.
    The extension of the target file is .mdb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    Just curious what happens if you hold down the shift key while opening the link (hold it until the file finishes loading). Do you see anything different or just the same switchboard form? What happens if you right-click anywhere on the switchboard, do you get any menus such as Design View?
    Cheers,
    Shift key does nothing. Right-clicking anywhere does nothing.

Here is where I believe the main installation files are located for Access. (ignore highlighted folder)

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-11 103127.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	49483

Clicking on any of the executables hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Gicu is offline VIP
    MSACCESS.EXE is what you want, but opening that will not help you much as it seems like your db has the AllowByPassKey property set to false; you need to re-enable the bypass key (SHIFT) in order to get into the objects of your application and correct the error.
    Here is a link for a utility that will help you to enable it:
    https://www.utteraccess.com/topics/233728

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Thanks everyone for the help.

My boss just informed me that he was going to give me the contact info for the guy who originally set up Access, so hopefully that guy can enlighten me on a few things.

June7 is offline VIP
    For some reason, Explorer is not showing the .exe extension. But we can see Access application is installed.

Since the file is .mdb, you should be able to edit it once you get past the shift key bypass lockout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.