Moreward1 is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Moving from excel to hopefully an access database

I need some input on if what I'm thinking will work. I currently track data via excel and would like to move to access.
    How can track a single record for activity being done on multiple dates?

Here is what I mean for said record:
    "crew1 work the yard on 12/8/22, crew 1 finished the yard on 12/9/22, but for the same record crew 2 washed the house on 12/7/22". Also how can I account for how much of said yard or house was completed per day?

At the moment I track everything via excel and I have 1 month per tab and I built the days like a calendar where I manually enter the data, but I have to go back searching through months versus having a nice database I can use in a more robust way. there is more data I track but I'm trying to understand how to address the multi-date or multi-crew for one record issue.

Also any ideas on how to build a calendar that is viewable with the different jobs per day?

I can provide more detail if needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Options are:

1) related table for comments, each comment would be a record

2) a long text field set for "Append Only yes" and use ColumnHistory feature

Same would apply to daily completion data.

Calendar type db is a common topic.

Might find this of interest https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=18459
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Moreward1 is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

example

Here is some of the data I track via excel with a single spreadsheet on 1 tab and I show it on a calendar style spreadsheet when I schedule it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure what that worksheet was supposed to tell me because I don't see any data and no calendar. Doesn't change my comments.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi

Are you saying the following:-

1 Crew can work on many Jobs within a specific Period.

I want to record the start time and end times of each Job together with the Total Number of Hours.
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Based on OP's starting post, a relational (currently Access) DB must have tables like:
    tblCrews: CrewID, CrewName, ...;
    tblObjects: ObjectID, ObjectName, ...;
    tblActivities: ActivityID, ActivityName, ...;
    tblCalendary: CalendaryDate, DayType, [WeekNo], [MonthNo], [YearNo], ...
    (DayType values in tblCalendary are small integers indicating workday, weekend, or holiday. WeekNo, MonthNo, and YearNo are optional fields - you can always calculate them instead when there is a need. You fill this table for some years in future, and update it yearly adding new data. My advice is, you create a stored procedure for this - e.g. it fills the table with next year when run. And you may consider to create a separate database where this table is kept, and any of your Access DB's can link this table from there);
    Optionally you can have a table, where you register all recurring activities on object, like:
    tblObjectActivities: ObjectActivityID, ObjectID, ActivityID, [HrsNeeded], ...;
    Then a table, where is registered activities schedule:
    tblObjectActivitySchedule: ObjectActivityScheduleID, ObjectActivityID(s), StartDate, EndDate, ... (ObjectActivityID(s) is either FK to ObjectActivityID in tblObjectActivities, or FK's ObjectID and ActivityID - depending on you having table tblObjectActivities or not);
    And finally, a table, where you register the daily workload:
    tblDailyWork: DailyWorkID, WorkDate, CrewID, ObjectActivityScheduleID, ..., [WorkHrs], WorkStatus (WorkStatus is small integer indicating the activity on this object - i.e. ObjectActivityScheduleID - is finished (1) or not (0). Instead of WorkHrs you can have fields StartTime and EndTime, and calculate working hours when needed too).

NB! You can have several crews work on same ObjectActivityScheduleID on same date!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.