GregShah is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Report will not sort data based on calculated expression

My report identifies each employee and totals the number of production pieces along with the weight for the month. in the report footer, I sum up the entire output of the shop in pieces and weight.

Using the individual and total production, i calculate the percentage of production by each employee.

All of the data calculates properly. however, i would like the order of employee to sort with the highest percentages on top. i cannot get the report to sort this way.

I'm not a coder and rely on the friendly prompting of Access Is there some way to get this sort completed in the report design?

thanks

Greg

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You need to set its "Sorting and Grouping".

In Design view, right click the Page Header bar and select "Sorting and Grouping"
    You can then make the appropriate selections
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Office 365

Not quite Working Yet

Short Version.zip

I tried to attach a short version of my DB so you could see what I did.

Basically, I am using a query to pull all the individual numbers per employee. In order to get a percentage, I totalled the output to calculate the percentage. Iadded two percenyages together and want the report to sort on that sum. I cannot get this to work properly.

Thanks for your help so far.

You will need to do that calculation in the query as the report only sorts on incoming fields?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Report can sort on a calculation in the Sorting & Grouping settings, however, your calculation includes an aggregate function and this cannot be in an ORDER BY clause which is what the sorting feature of Sorting & Grouping uses.

Change your report RecordSource query to include a subquery that calculates the Sum([SumOfQtyCompleted]) then you can calculate the percentage in query as well.

SELECT Scoring_A.*, SumOfQtyCompleted/(SELECT Sum(SumOfQtyCompleted) FROM Scoring_A) AS SQCPCT FROM Scoring_A;

Now use the SQCPCT field in your report to display the percentage and to sort.
    Last edited by June7; 12-04-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for the input. I have been attempting to add in the subquery but this is something that I have never attempted. The existing SQL statement is:

SELECT Production_by_person_Rev_A.Initials, Sum(Production_by_person_Rev_A.QtyCompleted) AS SumOfQtyCompleted, Sum(Production_by_person_Rev_A.TotalWeight) AS SumOfTotalWeight, Production_by_person_Rev_A.EmployeeFROM Production_by_person_Rev_A
    GROUP BY Production_by_person_Rev_A.Initials, Production_by_person_Rev_A.Employee;

What is the easiest way to add your subquery? Can it be spliced into this existing SQL? If so, I am not sure where to add it. If this must be done a different way, can you lead me in the right direction. I am willing to try new things but been stuck since yesterday trying to add the sub in.

Thanks again,

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    No, you build query as I posted.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Got it. I know just enough to be dangerous. Thanks for the help and your patience.

Greg

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.