krag is offline Medium experience
    Windows 10 Office 365

Labelling minimized forms for easy identification to restore

Starting from a Master Panel form, several forms up to 6, are opened in a specific sequence.
    1. Master panel (this is the access starting form)
    2. Set-up
    3. Chucking, etc.
    4. Notes, etc.
    5. Turret layout
    6. Time study process sheet

Any specific form in the sequence can be opened directly to edit data in that form and all the preceding forms opened are minimized automatically.
    Mostly the preceding form data are locked from editing and also those forms cannot be closed.

However, it is possible to restore any of the preceding forms to view the data for reference when working on the last opened form.
    So, at any time between 1 to 5 minimized forms are at the bottom.
    Basically, they would be in the same display sequence from left to right in the bottom as abovementioned sequence.
    However, if any of these minimized forms is restored for viewing and then minimized, the display sequence may get changed.
    When the form icon in the minimized bar is clicked, the pop-up only shows the functions as Restore, Move, etc.
    Is there a way to show the form name or some quick id by hovering mouse over it, before clicking it to restore the required form?
    This is a standard feature for all windows icons minimized at the bottom of display.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Why not just change your <Options> <Current Database> <Document Window Options> to use tabbed documents rather than overlapping
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi bob
    Thanks for your response.
    I started the project originally with tabbed documents but ended up with overlapping, as my user client and myself found it more convenient with floating windows mainly because simultaneous viewing is possible and double (2) wide screen workstation is used where other non-Access files are being referred to at the same time.
    Restoring minimized forms by itself is not a major issue now as it is not something to be used too often but it is only an idea to make it more user-friendly if there is a way.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by krag View Post
    Hi bob
    Thanks for your response.
    I started the project originally with tabbed documents but ended up with overlapping, as my user client and myself found it more convenient with floating windows mainly because simultaneous viewing is possible and double (2) wide screen workstation is used where other non-Access files are being referred to at the same time.
    Restoring minimized forms by itself is not a major issue now as it is not something to be used too often but it is only an idea to make it more user-friendly if there is a way.
    I don't know a way to achieve your goal but there are many very knowledgeable members who may have a solution.

What happens to the main form when one of these other forms is opened.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Office 365
    What happens to the main form when one of these other forms is opened.

The first opening form (Master Panel) also is minimized.
    This is where the selection of parameters is done to open the subsequent related forms.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    How about a small Popup form with small buttons to open he other forms that opens and floats around. It needn't take up much screen space. With the right settings and short captions on the buttons you could get 6 buttons on a form that's approx 1 inch high and half an inch wide. Just trying to suggest something else that might work for you
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    2 ideas
    - use a tab control with a page for each form.
    - likely possible to add the form caption to the shortcut menu, but certainly more difficult unless one is a commandbar coding expert.

EDIT - on second thought, one would have to try and get at form properties for the form being right clicked. If it doesn't have some sort of property such as "active", screen.activecontrol, or something similar then I guess that's not viable. I also now see that a single record form doesn't present this menu (but it does show a different one for left click).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minimizeRCmenu.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	49243
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Or Ribbon>Window>Switch Window or code to directly show the More Windows dialog?

docmd.RunCommand acCmdMoreWindows
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I would recommend a different approach.
    Keeping multiple forms open at once is using up both the connections available and the memory available to Access
    Both of these will affect performance and if you have too many forms open at once you may get out of memory issues.

Instead I suggest you close forms when not needed and reopen them as and when required. Performance will be better.
    If well designed there is no reason why user experience will be worse.
    In fact it may be better than users trying to restore the wrong window from a row of minimized windows.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks to all for coming up with different ideas.
    As for closing unwanted forms, there are several interlinked fields between the forms required for calculations.
    So the preceding forms need to be in loaded status to work on the open form.
    Also there is no risk of opening wrong form as basically any one or as many can be opened any time to read the contents and cannot edit interlinked fields in those forms.
    I will try some of the ideas brought up and see how the client likes it if at all he wants it.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Your choice but I don't see that as an issue.
    You could store the values needed for use in other forms as public variables or temp vars and clear them when no longer required.
    That will require less memory and therefore improve performance
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.