pk2317 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Using attached document as source for Bound Object Frame

A related question to my earlier one:

Is it possible to use a Bound Object Frame to display a Word document (or other OLE Object) that has been attached to a table? Here's the website I got my code from:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/access/archive/2007/08/30/using-vba-code-to-open-a-file-stored-in-the-new-access-2007-attachment-field.aspx

I modified the code some, shown below. I have the public function first, and then the test function that is called when a command button is clicked. At this time I'm just using a small table (tblFiles) with an attachment field (Fil_File) that containts a single Word document attachment. I want it to display in the field [OLEBound7] on the form [frmDisplay].

Code:
    Public Function OpenFirstAttachment(ByRef rstCurrent As DAO.Recordset, ByVal strFieldName As String) As DAO.Field

Dim rstChild As DAO.Recordset2
        Dim fldAttach As DAO.Field2
        Dim strFilePath As String

Set rstChild = rstCurrent.Fields(strFieldName).Value ' the .Value for a complex field returns the underlying recordset.

Set fldAttach = rstChild.Fields("FileData") ' The binary data of the file.

Set OpenFirstAttachment = fldAttach

rstChild.Close ' cleanup

End Function 'OpenFirstAttachment
    Code:
    Public Function TestFirst()

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
        Dim fldTemp As DAO.Field

Const strTable = "tblFiles"         ' Table that contains attachment field
        Const strField = "Fil_File"         ' Attachment field in Table1

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strTable)

'rst.MoveNext                       ' Uncomment this line to go to the 2nd row in the Table.

Set fldTemp = OpenFirstAttachment(rst, strField)

Forms![frmDisplay]![OLEBound7].ControlSource = fldTemp

rst.Close
        Set dbs = Nothing
        Set rst = Nothing

End Function

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    pk,

I just read the first few lines of your post, so I thought I would ask if you've checked out the active x controls? in 07, there is one to view xls files. have you tried that? I don't know if there is one for WORD, but it would make sense if there was.

too much of this is going to get you confused: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=200301

pk2317 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you're referring to the "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet 11.0" control listed in the ActiveX controls list, when I select it from the list and click OK, I get a messagebox telling me "Microsoft Office Access does not support this ActiveX control." If there is a different ActiveX control that does work for Excel spreadsheets, I'd be more than happy to find out about it, because if it would help I can probably get the users to give me an Excel file with the information instead of a Word document.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.