dick is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Thumbs down Access 2010 fails where 2007 worked

Help!?

In desperation I have turned to this forum.

I have a complex Access DB with tons on VBA code.
    It is working very well with Access 2007.
    I recently upgraded to Access 2010 and the system now
    fails miserably in several ways, mostly due to write/update
    conflicts.

I'm getting errors 3188, 3197 and 2118 where I never had these
    before. These are all about a record being changed by someone
    else even when I'm the only one using the system on my laptop.
    I'm either missing something completely or something has changed
    with this version of Access to make things fail like this. The failures
    typically happen on a "Requery" of a form after data in a subform has
    been changed that also changed data in the main form.

I've searched many threads on the web for these error codes and
    found little that explains the problem or how to fix it. Hopefully it's
    a simple "setting" that is wrong and not massive code changes.

I've looked at "locking" options (no changes between 2007 and 2010
    that I can see) but have not looked into "autocommit" whatever that is.

Some guidance and a fast fix would be much appreciated.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    the message about records or db's being opened by someone else is a tell-tale sign of corruption. and if so, there's nothing you can do, as the damage is already done.

at this point, what you should do is take one of your backups and work with it. check out the deprecated feature in 2010 as this may be one cause. the other cause may possibly be adding features to that db that aren't compatible with .accdb's. I don't have 10 so I don't know what the default file ext. is, but if I was doing this, the first thing I would do after making a backup of my db is open 2010 and convert the file immediately to the newest format available.

if that feature is still in the 'save as' dialog, that's what I would do.

dick is offline Novice
    Thanks Adam, but what you say would make sense if the same DB failed with 2007 version. Unless there are major structural changes between 2007 and 2010 then I think corruption is not an issue. My suspicion is that I was getting away with a procedure in 2007 that is more rigorous in 2010. Maybe it was a bug that I was using as a "feature"? I'll look into what you suggest and try and rebuild the DB by importing all tables. But . . .

I'm leaning toward the fact that two subforms in two different forms reference the same Query for the record source. The first subform has not
    made any changes but as soon as I update the second subform in the second form then bingo! Code in the second subform does a "Forms!Secondform.Requery" and that is where it fails with a message saying "another user etc." with the Save/Copy to clipboard/Drop changes options. Changing the Requery to other variations produces other errors all along the same theme.

I've tried various combinations of things to try and "save" the record without much success. Moving to the "next" record does a save, but then I have to get back to the original. I thought a Requery did a "save" also but perhaps only from the form that first opened the record? I could "Close" the subform (can I do that without closing the main form?) but then I'd have to re-open it, right?

I've also had trouble doing an open of a form while in the same form (for a different record). 2007 allowed that. 2010 does not. Is this a general no-no? Must close first and then re-open?

There should be a simple way to "save" the current changes and move to another form that makes other changes which it can then save. It would
    appear that 2007 did that (or accepted two changes?) and 2010 does not.

dick

dick is offline Novice
    Okay. After further analysis I have determined the problem, but not been able to fix it.

I have a main form and a sub form. Click button in subform performs various operations and then modifies a counter in the main form and then does a requery of the main form to display the updated data in the main form and the changed fields in the subform.

This always worked in Access 2007 but fails in 2010 with errors indicating that "another user has changed the record etc." and basically I lose the changes and the program function then fails. If I choose the "Save" option then things get worse. If I choose the "Save to clipboard" option it runs to completion but the data is incomplete.

So, something is very different between 2007 and 2010. Either that or I have been getting away with it before. But that seems unlikely otherwise compatibility is non-existent. Is it a locking problem? A Requery problem?
    I've tried the "Me.Dirty" trick but that changed nothing. Neither did a docmd.runcommand acsaverecord in various places.

If I rem-out the code in the subform that updates the counter in the main form then I get no failures, but of course the data is wrong. I tried passing the data between the forms through a global variable. That fixed it !! FOR A WHILE. Once past that glitch further processing gave the same error when a pubic subroutine updated a record and then did a requery!!!!

WHAT IS GOING ON???? WHAT HAS CHANGED??? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG IF ANYTHING??

Grrrrr.

dick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.