Durks123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Can you make a field look up a value (on another table) dependent on another value (on the same tbl)

I am trying to create a database for vehicle maintenance for my work (I work in a HGV workshop). What i am wanting to do it have the vehicle VIN number and vehicle registration number link up. So i have one table with this information in it called "Vehicle File" and the i have another table with these fields in them but i again have to type both manually. I am wondering if there is a way to be able to type in the registration which is only 7 characters max and pull the VIN from the "Vehicle File"

Basically, if this was Excel i would be using the VLOOKUP function. I do not know if something similar is available inside Access

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    and the i have another table with these fields in them
    Why? This sounds like you're off on the wrong foot, especially when you bring Excel knowledge into the picture. That's usually a bad thing when it comes to relational databases. The pk field of the vehicle table should be related to other tables - f'rinstance, the table that holds records for maintenance. Suggest you research database normalization.

Ignoring all that, an Excel-like lookup in Access is DLookup.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    your table structure should be something like this (no doubt with other tables such as vehicle owner, make and model, service profiles etc)

tblVehicles
    vehiclePK
    Reg
    VIN

tblMaintenance
    MaintenancePK
    VehicleFK
    MaintenanceDate

then in your maintenance form, for the VehicleFK field use a combo control (called in this example cboVehicle) with a rowsource of

SELECT * FROM tblVehicles
    ORDER BY Reg

bind column 1 to your control and use a column count of 3 and set the column widths to 0 (to hide the PK)

when you create a combo, the wizard will fire and give you the opportunity to complete all of the above

if you want to see the VIN as well, in a textbox put =cboVehicle.column(2)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.