smaihlee is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Training Database - Attendance data input form design

I am setting up a basic database to capture training attendance data. The basic data tables:

tblSubject - all subjects offered
    tblSession - information for each session we offer
    tblInstructor - list of instructors
    tblAttendance - all registrations for each session, including status field for whether attended or not

Screen shot included of the relationship view to see all the table fields. I've designed the input forms for the first 3 tables, which is data our team will manually input and update as necessary.

The Attendance data is where it gets tricky. We use an internal company tool for registrations. After each session we upload Teams attendance data and then the tool allows us to generate an Excel file to show all registrations and whether the person attended or not. This Excel report does not contain any reference to the session (but the team member will know this when they are working with the file). We need to be able to get this data into our database so it can be linked to our session/instructor data.

Here's where I need help: I want to design a Form(?) that allows the team member to select the target session, then paste the attendance data from the Excel file into a data table at the bottom of the form. Then I want the form to apply the Session ID from the selected session, to the Session ID field in all records of the pasted Attendance data. I would even be OK with uploading the attendance data somehow into the database, as long as we can select the session first then apply the Session ID to the imported records.

I also attached a screen shots of a sample attendance report we get from our internal tool. Changing the registration tool output is not an option as it's a global tool used by many departments.

I might have been able to figure this out easily when I was using Access daily (10 years ago), but drawing a blank right now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrainingDB_Relationships.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	48853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AttendanceToPaste.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	48852

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Since the Excel file is consistent and contains the desired data, you can link to it and run an append query that gets the session from your form. You can either link to the file in a static location and always have the user put it there, or use FileDialog to have the user point to the file they want to import. Once linked, you can display the data in the form if desired.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

smaihlee is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for the reply. I will use those suggestions to proceed.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, post back if you get stuck.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.