Erigeo86 is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

How to make access database accessible online

Hello,

I have an access database that i have created with a local front end and a backend stored on local network drive in our office.

I would really like some guidance on the best way to make the database available online, I have tried storing the backend on google drive, but have run into the problem of records being corrupted from time to time.

I can do my own digging, but i'm a bit lost on where to start looking.

Cheers.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ignore Access Web applications. They are no longer available for some reason.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Perhaps use vpn, only on my phone so Google/bing to find out more

In your LAN, have a data server where you store your BE in folder with R/W rights for user group designed for users of your DB;
    In same LAN, have a Terminal Server, where every user of your DB has his/her own profile, the copy of your FE (and a shortcut to it) stored, the data server folder with BE mapped, and Access available;
    Every user must have a secure VPN connection from his/her home computer/company laptop to your LAN.

User connects to your LAN through VPN, logs into his/her profile, and starts his/her FE from there. All data exchange happens between data server and TS, between user comp/laptop and TS the only keystrokes and display images info is exchanged.

keviny04 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Access only "sees" local networks. To make it see remote sites, you need to have every remote site install a "VPN router" (can be had for $100-200 each) and configure each one to "identify" itself as an "Internet domain" (requires a $5 monthly fee per domain paid to DynDNS). This was the route I took in my old job. The advantage of this is that you get full Windows networking capabilities (printing, file sharing, etc.) for all the connected PCs in all the remote sites, in addition to Access remote usage.

If that's too much hassle, there is an online service called Access Database Cloud that makes the process quite easy but requires a hefty monthly fee. An Access MVP loved the service despite the cost and posted a video review here.

The third method is to migrate your data from Access to an environment that is actually made for Internet connectivity, such as SQL Server, which has a free version if your database is less than 4 gigabytes. You can still use Access to access such data, but you likely have to spend extra effort to configure Access to retrieve/send data from or to the Internet efficiently. As mentioned, Access is made for local connectivity, and not really optimized for Internet. You have to make sure your Access forms, reports, code, etc. don't grab too much data and cause tremendous slowdown.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.