uobuob is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Back-end / front-end split

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. A data based is stored in a shared folder on a server. For numerous reasons, I wish to split the database in a front-end stored locally on the computers of the users containing everything but the tables and a back-end on the server, containing only the tables. Here is how I see this, but I find it a little too simple, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I create a copy of the original database, storing it on my computer. I erase the tables. I import the tables from the original database, specifying I want them to be linked (second option). Tada!

Did I miss something? What if I wish to do the same with other users? Can I just copy my front-end database and paste it on their computer? I guess the path needs to be the same (ex. Z:\[...]\[...]\OriginalDB.accdb).

For your information, only a handful of users should be using it at the same time. We decided to do this because we've experienced public variables taking on values other than those intended and references to Forms![nameofform] refering different objects when multiple users were connected. Should the split solve these issues?

Thanks for your input!

Christian Bourassa
    Université de Montréal
    Montréal, Québec, Canada

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    A multi user app should always be split as you have outlined

but I would use a UNC path rather that a mapped drive

and clearly each user will need read/write access to the folder/server where the BE is stored

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Access has a built-in database splitter that does pretty much what you described....you should also think about a method of distributing front-end updates to all users,there are many ways to do that (batch file, helper app), here is a link to one:
    http://forestbyte.com/ms-access-util...-content-inner
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.