krag is offline Medium experience
    Windows 10 Office 365

Windows 11 issue

One of my long time App user recently installed the app in a brand new laptop with Windows 11 and Office 365.
    His old laptop was Win 10 and Office 365 and I am also using same in my laptop to develop apps for past several years.
    Issue with the new Windows 11 PC is that some function in the app is taking more than 20 seconds to compute and populate a form.
    Old version PC was doing the same function in virtually no time.

As far as I can figure out, only difference is Windows 11 from 10.
    App is not connected to server and both FE and BE are in same PC (as always).
    First time it happened, we thought it was hanging up completely and tried to close the form / access.
    It was throwing up the Windows error dialog box asking if you want to wait or restart or quit.
    However, before any response was made to the dialog box, it got the form filled out and after that there were no issues.
    This problem repeats every time that form was opened from the master panel (Main form).
    Finally we found out that we had to wait for about 20 to 30 seconds for the form to open properly filled up.
    All other simpler functions seem to be working fine.
    Incidentally I have re-checked in my PC with the Windows 10 and there is no such issue at all.
    Any feedback or comments welcome.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Would think if it was a Win11 issue, it would affect more than one form.

Suggest try each of these:

1. compact/repair
    2. decompile/recompile - see this link https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...se-application

and if that doesn't work, rebuild the form

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi CJ_London
    Thanks for the very quick response.
    Sorry could not acknowledge earlier due to a long weekend holiday and back to my work today.
    To go by your suggestion, I have to wait for the user to have some free time and explain him the procedures through a web meeting as we are in different countries altogether.
    It may not be a problem to compact / repair but decompile / recompile will need more time.
    To be on the safe side, I have to wait till I can personally get hold of his PC and do it myself.
    Right now he is managing to live with the slow response of that one form.

Incidentally, there are 8 main forms and each one having a few sub-forms in it.
    When opening the form which gives the problem of slow response, 2 other main forms are opened in the background to do some calculations for a series of data and populate the said form.
    Those 2 main forms are also used directly to input data individually and seem to be working normally (no delayed action).
    The entire project was simply copy pasted from the old Win 10 PC to the new Win 11 PC and tested.

I will update the status when I go through this in detail with user.
    Thanks again.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi CJ_London and al others
    It is almost a year since I posted last on this subject.
    Meanwhile, as suggested by
    CJ_London, I did compact/repair when I could physically take hold of the client's PC but there was no improvement.
    As client did not wish to try anything further, I did not do decompile / recompile.
    He has been using the app since then with same condition without any further issues.

Ten days back when doing the same operation as before, he started getting an error message as below:

Runtime error 7895.
    Unable to create a window.

However pressing the "continue" button on the error dialog box/ returned to the program to open the required form after a delay as before (usual).
    There were no other issues after that.
    I ran the same App file with sam related BE data files in my PC with Win 10 OS and there were no issues at all.

I searched the net for guidance on the error but could not find any.
    Perhaps some of you in this forum have found a solution.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 11 Access 2019
    Check to see how much RAM is actually seen by the laptop. Minimum requirement according to Microsoft is 4GB. If the value shown is less than expected (the advertised amount from vendor), it could be a hardware issue (bad RAM or needs reseating).
    If your Windows 10 machine has 8GB and your user's new laptop has 4GB, that perhaps would explain the difference.
    Click Settings > System > About

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	50517

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Davegri
    So you are using Win 11 with 32 GB RAM and I presume you do not have any such Access issues.
    Mine is Win 10 with 8GB.
    I will check with my client but I remember when he purchased the new PC last year it was 16 GB.
    Thanks.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    This may sound a bit weird, but check the database is in a trusted location, I've seen that cause unusual slowness.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with Minty, worth checking - I have a win 11 laptop with 8gb ram with access 365 64bit and using trusted locations- no significant difference in performance that I can detect compared with my other machine - win 10 with 16gb ram using access 2010 32bit. App split with BE on local drive.

You might want to check what your form is actually doing on open - use debug.print now() or msgbox between each line of code - might be able to determine which line(s) are causing the issue.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I have got the client's win 11 PC set up for trusted location for database folders.
    Looks like the response speed issue is resolved.
    As for the 7895 runtime error, I will have to wait till the next time the same operation is repeated by client.
    As we are in different parts of the world, I can only check when both of us are free in suitable local times.
    Anyway I feel that the issue is resolved with the trusted location setting.
    If anything crops up, I will come back to you.
    Thanks Minty for the "weird" suggestion.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Today I had a new issue reported by another long time user (same company as the one I reported earlier).
    This user was running Win 10 with Office 365 (same as mine) and also same RAM 8GB for many years.
    Last month they updated their old computers from Win 10 to Win 11 Pro including this user (without my knowledge till today).
    Since then several weird things started happening.
    When calling a print preview of a report, first it was coming up with a blank screen of the print preview.
    On closing and trying again, it was opening correctly but after the pdf file download was done, the app is hanging up completely.
    Of course after closing the app it was unable to restart as all related mdb files were locked.
    After deleting the 1kb locking files, it would restart but with same issue.
    In some apps, simply entering some data in a form would cause a similar hangup.
    I tried relinking all the BE to FE to check and found that the dialog box asking if you want to check every table to be linked was not showing and had to check every table.
    However linking was okay ultimately.
    I checked and set the trusted location setting for this user now but didn't resolve the issues.
    I have asked them to check following:
    1. Restart the PC and try.
    2. Check the updates history of Windows and Office.
    3. If possible to restore Win 10 back.

I have been strongly promoting Access to this client for last 10+ years but looks like they are getting nervous about the life and support of Access with new OS and Office systems.
    I am now developing another App for this client for last 2 years and almost reached the stage of installing it, but they seem to be re-thinking on this.

Any information or guidance will be highly appreciated.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    There where some issues (a bug) with printing reports in a recent version of O365 Access.

Link here https://www.accessforever.org/post/n...h-version-2305
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Minty
    Thanks a lot for your info on access updates.
    After doing an update (latest version 2307), issue seems to have been fixed.
    User is still on windows 11 and at present there are no issues.

I have now instructed the other user to also confirm that access updates are latest.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.