beeth2022 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Cloud services for 5MB applications

Hello everyone, I am a private user (Win10 + Office365) who manages some Access databases of approximately 5 MB. I would like to start trying to manage them on cloud. I had thought of SQL but I had found offers (Aruba.it) that propose MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server (what differences?). Which one do you recommend the two? Given the small of my applications, only 5MB, which Free Smart Free Provider do you recommend? (I would prefer to try to play a little and then subscribe)

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    An Access FE won't work over a cloud connection with an Access BE. Well not even vaguely reliably. It relies on SMB protocol which is not WAN friendly.
    You will need a MySQL / Azure SQL / SomeOther DBMS to work with a cloud based back end.

We use Azure SQL for majority of our clients backend data. It's not free but very reliable, and cost effective.

I don't know of anyone that provide a free decent hosted Back end datastore. Without being rude you would have to ask why would they?
    You can get a free Developer trial of most of the systems mentioned above. That would at least get you started.

From a developing perspective you can load SQL Server Express locally and move everything to that to see how you get on - if the bug bites then look at cloud storage based on that.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Which one do you recommend the two?
    for cloud based databases, mySQL is the most common offering. In terms of performance, not much between them.

Alternatives is to use a terminal server provider or citrix. Just log in via remote desktop. Costs vary, but from a conversion perspective, virtually no cost at all. Just move your files to terminal server and relink FE/BE.

If it is just you and you are not supporting clients, One Drive is an option - but means copying the BE to your local drive and copying it back again when done - but easy enough to automate.

neenajk is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Access 2016
    As stated by above users MySQL is common, but there also free cloud services for SQL Server.
    MySQL is open-source database while SQL Server has free limited version but not open-source.

You can search on google for free sql server hosting or free mysql hosting, there are lots of hosting providers which gives free hosting for both.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.