hchui is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Batch import .txt

Hi, I'm looking for help here and this is the problem. I have thousands of .txt file. Each .txt contains data of one person and there're multiple records/rows of this person in the .txt. The .txt files are tab separate delimited. 1. How do I import these .txt files into tables in Access? I don't want to do > File > Import a thousand times. 2. My goal is to stack these .txt files into one huge file that contains everyone's data. This should be a simple query if I have the tables (imported from .txt) linked to the primary key. Again, I don't want to set the primary key in each table and I don't want to draw the relationship lines a thousand times. Is there a way to do it? Any thought would be appreciated. Many thanks, Helena

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    are all of these files formatted the same way? if they are, you could run a function like this:
    Code:
    Function TxtAppend(wStr As String, _
                       wPath As String, _
                       Optional bNewLine As Boolean)

'******************************************************************************
    '                                                                             *
    'Author: Adam Evanovich                                                       *
    'Date: 6/12/2006                                                              *
    'Purpose: Writes information (a string) to the end of a text file.            *
    'Arguments:                                                                   *
    'wStr > String to write into the text file.                                   *
    'wPath > Full path of the text file being manipulated.                        *
    'bNewLine > Indicates whether or not to write the data to a new line.  If no, *
    '           data will appended immediately following the last character in    *
    '           the text file.  If omitted, false will be assumed.                *
    '******************************************************************************

On Error GoTo Cleanup

Const wMode = 8& 

Dim fso As Object
    Dim oFile As Object

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
       Set oFile = fso.opentextfile(wPath, wMode)

If bNewLine Then
             oFile.writeline vbNewLine & wStr
          Else
             oFile.writeline wStr
          End If
             oFile.Close

Cleanup:
        Set fso = Nothing
        Set oFile = Nothing

End Function
    I got that from here: http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/_...me=TxtAppend()

take a look at the 'txt' functions on this page: http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/_functions/

you could easily loop them all and append them to a single file. at that point, you could use the wizard just once, since you want to get it into one table anyway, right?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.