Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Alright, with all the good help I got it working as first described in post #1. And now I (and you) have a nice little diddy for testing report (and form) templates.

So, now I'm wondering how Access works behind the scenes. This template report uses as its data the tbl_Hr_Dept for testing.

I looked around after the wizard created a report for how it sorted (by ID), but I couldn't see where that sorting was kept.
    If I want to add that now, where do I put it in this test template report? And what does it look like in the property (or whatever)?

Then I wondered, what if this report had fifty pages instead of fitting all on one page.
    Does Access build the whole report at one time, or does it go get data from the table as you move from page to page?
    Does reporting behavior change the way it works when you split a db? (Thinking about bandwidth and performance now.)

ReportChangeColor.accdb

The application only uses Pt1 & Pt2 for controlling the colors. Pt3-Pt5 are just used for storing color codes for easy cut&paste.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sort will probably be by order entered into table unless there are fields with Index set to Yes or report design specifies otherwise. Use report Sorting & Grouping feature to control. With report in design view, select Sorting & Grouping from ribbon or right click over any report section bar.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Does Access build the whole report at one time, or does it go get data from the table as you move from page to page?
    yes builds the report at one time - but may display the first (few) pages whilst carrying on loading and formatting the rest in the background. Same thing that happens when you open a form with a very large dataset. You can tell when a dataset is fully loaded when the navigation bar at the bottom of the form/report (assuming it is visible) shows the number of records.
    Does reporting behavior change the way it works when you split a db? (Thinking about bandwidth and performance now.)
    No, not so far as I am aware

Reports are reports, they will take as long as it takes. For forms, you should not load entire tables/queries unless they only have a few rows. Consider how web pages work -they only load a few records at a time to minimise bandwidth usage. User then pages through.

Note that the where parameter of docmd.openform is actually a filter, not a criteria - Access will display the filtered records first but will continue to load the remaining records in the background until all are loaded. Easy to test - observe the navigation bar - the filter button will be highlighted - click it and you will see all records

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    yes builds the report at one time -

Reports are reports, they will take as long as it takes. For forms, you should not load entire tables/queries unless they only have a few rows. Consider how web pages work -they only load a few records at a time to minimise bandwidth usage. User then pages through.
    Is there any way to tell when the report has finished loading/building? I'm thinking I would like to add a textbox next to the time in the footer that shows how long it took. This could be useful to test local vs remote type performance. Also, the start time needs to be stored and then recovered when the trigger says "done". Once it appears, it shouldn't change once the user starts scrolling through pages as it's only the processing time to "build".

June7 is offline VIP
    I did a quick test.

Sub OpenRpt()
    Debug.Print Now()
    DoCmd.OpenReport "Holidays", acViewPreview
    End Sub

Textbox in report footer has =Now().

The outputs are:

7/10/2022 3:54:55 PM

7/10/2022 3:54:56 PM
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.