twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Crunch down detail print to something approximating 8lpi

Problem: in the attached sample database, I’ve crunched the detail rows down as much as I can see how to, but letters are getting cut off at the bottom (centered might fix this) and still I need more crunching. How?

Background (for those that will say I’m doing this all wrong): I’m investigating Access for an application port from an old super-mini database. It was a commercial banking application that had dozens of clients with hundreds of reports going to thousands of businesses every month. The little print jobs went to a band printer that did 6 lines per inch (6lpi) or 8 lpi with the push of a button. People with fair eyesight (like me) had little problem reading the reports. The reports got quite complicated (think of your bank statement). For massive print jobs, we sent those offsite for printing in Xerox industrial strength printers. We did millions of impressions a month. Yes, I know modern laser printers designed for Windows don’t follow the 8lpi printing model. I’m just trying to get settings that approximate it.

Most of the time, these reports were filed with at best a cursory viewing. So, why waste a lot of paper on bigger fonts? And besides, someone had to help my brother in his chosen field of profession—optometry.

What I’ve done so far: I’ve standardized on printing landscape for most reports. This simulates old computer paper well. I’ve also chosen folio paper size (8.5”x13”), since that’s most common in Colombia, and legal size gets a little too big for the average person to deal with. It would be hard to design, I think, to both legal and folio sizes.

I’ve crunched detail text box printing down as much as I can by setting top/bottom margins to zero. Other properties to hairline or zero. Look at the first and last lines and you will see the bottom of the letters getting truncated. There seems to be lots of wasted space above the letter. I’ve looked for something similar to in Excel where for a cell you can specify Format>Alignment>Vertical>Center, but I can’t find it here in form Text Box properties for Access? There is plenty of space above the letters, so I shouldn’t have to open up the height if the text boxes or detail section. So far, I’m to about 6.5lpi out of 8lpi desired.

What am I missing?

CrunchPrint.accdb

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Manually set the font size in the detail properties to 7 or even 6.

You can't do it from the drop down but you can simply type 6 or 7 in the font size property.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Manually set the font size in the detail properties to 7 or even 6.

You can't do it from the drop down but you can simply type 6 or 7 in the font size property.
    I'll test that, I did see the way to enter it, but my past experience said 8 should work. And it would if the letters were centered in the cell, I think (yet unproven).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.