Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

The db that created the org report

This is one I hacked together to test self-joins, creating one table to hold a variety of user defined fields with just one table, and changing the color of reports for the application module (i.e. Hr = Human Resources). We have tbl_Hr_Dept for departments in an organization. A department is a place where people can do some work.

By using self joins and a sort field, one can create an organizational report from the board on down to every department.
    The tbl_Au_AppGrp allows for the client to define their own structures on top of my standard application. They are called groups and are hierarchical.

I cleaned up some sorting and grouping from the prior sample report in post #13

To see the "org report" run rpt_Hr_GrpDeptLu5.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by twgonder; 07-18-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Now, how about that print command button?

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT, SO I WANT TO DELETE THIS POST, BUT I CAN'T SEE HOW TO DO THAT.

On the report in the above post (#16) I have the rpt_Hr_GrpDeptLu5.
    I've put a print command button there.
    At the moment, it changes the colors to black and white, and then I want to get it to print (preview).
    All the code that does this, I would like to place in module
    mod_Au_Report, so that the Private Sub cmdPrint_Click() calls the subroutine for the heavy lifting.
    This way I don't have to repeat all the detail code in each class object for different reports.
    You can see the idea of this in the Private Sub Report_Load() code, which calls the module mod_Au_Report for changing colors.

I've hunted around and all the people that show how to print from a report hard code the report name in the class object.
    This seems bad seeing that the report can be renamed, and doesn't reuse common code in a module.
    And, they haven't explained well how they do the print.
    I would like to open in print preview after changing the colors, and close the report when done starting the print.

Got an idea how to accomplish this?

Windows 10 Access 2016

Now a print error

Quote Originally Posted by twgonder View Post
    I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT, SO I WANT TO DELETE THIS POST, BUT I CAN'T SEE HOW TO DO THAT.
    Not so fast.
    I updated the db in post #16 to include the code I've done for the command Print.
    If I try the setup button I get an error, but I'm not sure what it means or how to avoid it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CmdPrint1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	48341

Finally, I would like to call the print preview, if possible and close the report.

>>>

I did try changing the line to this: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrintPreview
    but it hangs and doesn't change the color of the report to the black&white colors.

Just to mention, here in Colombia we use Oficio paper instead of legal for large sizes. It's 8.5 x 13". I'm designing the larger reports for that size paper.
    Last edited by twgonder; 07-18-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: More info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.