Shiznan is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Backend .accdb can't reconnect blcoked macros source untrusted

I've been a microsoft developer for decades, and I've lived through all the debacles (such as the ADOX .dll versioning debacle), this one is really annoying me. I'm on Office365 currently and deploy the 2016 RTE for my application

So I have backend database that i will put on a QNAP NAS network share \\10.10.10.50\HRShare\Backend.accdb

This has worked for a decade + . I have code that I run on the first time a user installs the software that adds trusted locations to the registry and whenever a user reconnects to the backend database i add that location as well.

I guess with this new update in 22 that finally just hit my channel IP Addresses no longer work and it wants to FORCE me to use a hostname. How can i get around this? I go on road shows all the time and IP Address (LAN) always works and hostname works sometimes at best depending on the FLAT VLAN and QNAP im using. In other words it takes me a lot of unnecessary time to troubleshoot the DNS or add the Hostname to the HOSTS file when i have 20 users setup.

When I take a look at the trusted locations it shows my ip address is greyed out, it wont let me add in any ip addresses or map a network drive with an ip address only the HOST Name will work but that has its own large set of probelms as i mentioned earlier. I even tried adding the ip address to the Internet options trusted zone file://10.10.10.50 but nothing works with IP address anymore. If I add that ip address via VBA to the registery it shows up greyed out in my trusted locations (pic attatched) is there another place in the registery where i can make it "not greyed out?"

I read and tried every option on this article but no go https://www.isladogs.co.uk/unblock-motw/ Would a code signing certificate solve this? I've always been able to work around the code signing and macro nonsense with raw VBA / Registery / API strategries but im at my wits end with this one.

I have a reconnectbackend proc that re-links all tables in the backend after you select the path, thats when i get the issue reconnecting to an access .accdb which only has tables in it. This is the old issue that i used to get back around 2010 and you could hit ok to every table and it would link them eventually, but of course thats when i setup trusted locations via VBA to automate the nonsense, but now it looks like that has changed.

Under Macro Settings I have Enable ALL MACROS not not reccomended and im attatching photos of my trust center and internet options. If I have to I will make a hosts file entry programmatically on every computer harcoding the hostname and swapping out the IP address before I connect to the backend but that is so stupid, but its equally stupid that i can't use IP address anymore and must use a host name!! MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zones and Trust.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	50195

Name:	Greyedout.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	50196

Name:	ErrorOnRelink.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	50194
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trustedFileLocations.png  

Windows 11 Office 365
    I am no longer able to trust a network location by IP Address only host name, did Microsoft add some sort of helpful feature that is now screwing me? My DB connects to the back end and trys to re-link tables only to be told no not trusted, but i can't add the trust in the interface with an IP, my code that did it all programmatically still works and puts in the trusted location in the registry but the IP address share is greyed out now, can i edit the registery to make it work again somehow? [I had a much longer post but the add photo inline obliterated it ]

Name:	Greyedout.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	50197

Name:	Zones and Trust.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	50198

Name:	ErrorOnRelink.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	50199

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Try: control panel
    internet options
    security tab
    click TRUSTED SITES (checkmark)
    click SITES btn
    add the IP of the pc

this works for my pc's.

Windows 11 Office 365
    Maybe you don't have the latest O365 update, i attached a pic of my Trusted Sites from internet options and it has the ip address in but that doesn't help.

I would note that the 2016 RTE i use doesn't enforce it either I think this is something microsoft has just come out with in the last year if I had to guess breaking all kinds of things.

Name:	trustedFileLocations.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	50202
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zones and Trust.png  

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    First post was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.