Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cfrankling is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Question AccessRuntime

Hello there everyone,

Is there any way to force an app be open by AccessRuntime instead of Access?

The reason Im asking is that I have a customer with Office 365 spanish version installed and my application has issues with the spanish version. I've downloaded and installed Access365runtime (English version) in order to get my program to work but for whatever reason once the my program is executed it defaults to open with Access and not the runtime version. I've tried to select my program to "Open With" but I cannot see AccessRuntime in the list.

I have other customers with office in spanish and I've been successful in getting my software to work without compatibility issues by just installing accessruntime (english version) except in this particular case.

Hope I explained my problem well enough.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you could try a shortcut

"C:\pathtoaccessruntime\MSACCESS.EXE" /pathtofile/filename.accdb

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for the tip Ajax

If only new the path, I have no idea where accessruntime is installed, I've search the we but the folder suggested is not on my custemer's drive directory. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OfficeNN"

If MSACCESS is the actual name of runtime, I will do a search on C drive. Thanks

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't have runtime installed so can't help with the name. But would have thought it would have 'access' in it's name so trying using a wildcard.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OfficeNN will be for 32bit. 365 is 64bit

for 64bit you will usually find it in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeNN

seem to recall there is a 'syswow' folder somewhere as well

Windows 10 Office 365
    Will do the search with the wildcard, I know for a fact that MSACCESS is also the name the full version of Access, so if MSACCESS is also the name for runtime, then the search results should show two different instances with different paths. I thought the runtime .EXE was named differently, anyway, will give it try.

Thanks.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I thought that to 'force' runtime all you had to do was change the file extension to accdr? I realize anyone can revert it back to what it was and use Access but that doesn't seem to be a concern here.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    you can - but the OP is saying the customer has the spanish version of 365 which is causing the issue. So just means the spanish version would open in 'runtime mode'

@cfrankling - would help to know what version of access you are developing in 365/2016/2010/etc, the bitness (32 or 64bit) and what you are supplying - .accdb or .accde

Windows 10 Office 365
    Good point Ajax, its Access365 32bit, with .accde as the ver. deployed.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So I'm being thick again, I guess. Asked
    Is there any way to force an app be open by AccessRuntime instead of Access?
    which I thought I answered. End user must (?) have Spanish version so what's the problem? Is it that when testing, OP is having issues opening db in Runtime? I would have thought that changing the extension would fix that. Maybe that fact is indicative of a problem itself. But I think you're on to something re bitness since other Spanish customers don't seem to have a problem with Spanish runtime and English developed Access db.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Office 365
    What I'm trying to do is open my application with AccessRuntime365 (Eng version) instead of Access365 spanish version which is the one installed in my customer's pc.

I have other customers with Office365 in spanish and in order to run my application with no compatibility issues, I just install AccessruntimeEng and it works flawlessly. For some reason when I installed accessruntimeEng in this this particular case, when executing my application, its opens with AccessEsp instead of the runtime version.

Windows 10 Office 365
    The problem I have with the spanish version is when True or False is used as part of a criteria, the spanish version is expecting "Verdadero" which is True and "Falso" which is false and so the incompatibility. I thought of maybe changing to meet the spanish requirements, but my app is waaaay too big and just dont the time now.

The same goes when using Form or Forms, the spanish version expects Formulario or Fomularios, just way too many references to Form or Forms in my application to replace.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Just a thought - you could probably alter the key words with a procedure that replaced Form with the Spanish word. That would require coding for VBIDE object model. Might be worth considering for an on-going basis. However, the fact that only 1 end user is having this issue is a curiosity. Possibly the issue for them is bitness - i.e. they switched without telling you?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Just a thought - you could probably alter the key words with a procedure that replaced Form with the Spanish word. That would require coding for VBIDE object model. Might be worth considering for an on-going basis. However, the fact that only 1 end user is having this issue is a curiosity. Possibly the issue for them is bitness - i.e. they switched without telling you?
    Micron, I've never used VBIDE but will look into it, if not that complicated I might give it a try.

All would be ok if MS did not change the way office apps install, with office365 MS forces the installation of Access with no way of preventing it from being installed AFAIK, otherwise I would just uninstall access and leave the runtime, my customer dont need the full version of access.

Gicu is offline VIP
    For the True\False issue you could just use their values instead -1\0, the form references should still work (I have worked with some Italian dbs that were expecting Maschera).

As for the runtime according to Albert it installs in the exact same folder as the full version so it might have not installed at all:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-091d31153723

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    For the True\False issue you could just use their values instead -1\0, the form references should still work (I have worked with some Italian dbs that were expecting Maschera).Cheers,
    That works fine within VBA (had to do that when one of my apps needed to be adapted for use in SQL) but in the case of queries, it doesn't as access automatically replaces it with True or False. I also have the issue with referencing Form & Forms.

You might ask: Why did you not initially developed with the Spanish version of Access. Well most of my apps (Inventory Control, Product Costing, Import/Export and some others) are used here in the USA, this particular one is being used in Laboratories in the northern part of Mexico and so my problem. This started happening when my customers migrated to Office365, with previous versions all I had to do is remove access and problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.