NickvdM is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Subform does not respond to requery

Greeting to all,

I have a situation where I have a parent form, containing a subform. These are basically based on the same table, although I am using a query as the datasource for the subform because it must only display records (from the same table as the parent form,) relevant to the current record in the parent form, if any such records exist. I have tried a couple of things and read some forums and FAQs, but none seem to solve my problem. I've been struggling with this for days now! :'-(

Below is the VBA code I've tried which I though would work. (Some statements are comments. The others are VBA statements which I personally have the idea SHOULD work but doesn't otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.)

If Me.ysnHasComponents Then
    ' Forms![sfrmPathologyTest].SetFocus (Runs the GotFocus even in subform, but doesn't work
    ' sfrmPathologyTest.Requery
    ' sfrmPathologyTests.Form.Refresh
    ' Me.sfrmPathologyTests.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM tblPathology WHERE txtIsComponentOf" & _
    ' "=" & [Forms]![frmPathologyTests]![cboIsComponentOf] & ";" ' This SQL statement format and syntax may be wrong; I've given up on it.

' THESE FOLLOWING TWO STATEMENTS ARE WHAT I BELIEVE SHOULD WORK, BUT IT DOESN'T
    sfrmPathologyTests.Form.Requery
    sfrmPathologyTests.Visible = True
    Else
    sfrmPathologyTests.Visible = False
    End If

I realise similar questions may have been asked before but the proposed solutions aren't solving my problem.

Just set master & child link fields
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I agree that is the easiest as no code is required but if you want to also hide the subform you need to add code to the Current event of the main form (no need to include the check to the boolean field ysnHasComponents, just check if the subform's recordset has any records):

Code:
    Me.sfrmPathologyTests.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM tblPathology WHERE txtIsComponentOf = " & Me.cboIsComponentOf  'choose this line if txtIsComponent is numeric 

Me.sfrmPathologyTests.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM tblPathology WHERE txtIsComponentOf = '" & Me.cboIsComponentOf & "'"  'choose this line if txtIsComponent is text

Me.sfrmPathologyTests.Visible=Me.sfrmPathologyTests.Form.Recordset.RecordCount>0
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.