Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lmarconi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

How to avoid Form Close if Before Updating event is true

Good afternoon everyone. My problem is the following:

I have an input bounded form which i use to create new projects. In this form there are some mandatory fields which need to be filled if the user want to save the record (managed by Before Updating event). In the same form i have a button to close and save data (i know it is not necessary but user want to have it to close the form).

At the moment i press the Close Button (the code in the button is simple docmd.close) the system, trough the Before Updating event:
    - ask if i want to save the record;
    - if answer is NO, close the form without save;
    - if the answer is Yes, it control if all mandatory fields are filled and if some mandatory fields are not filled, it gives a message with the field name to be filled.

At this point, my problem: since I'm in the "Close Button" event, it close ANYWAY the form while i would like it remain open to fill the missing information.
    Below is my Before update code:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If MsgBox("Do you want to save the changes for this record?", _
    vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Save Changes?") = vbNo Then
    Cancel = True
    Me.Undo
    Else
    vMsg = ""
    Select Case True
    Case IsNull(Me.RAMZ_ID)
    vMsg = "RAMZ ID is missing"
    Case IsNull(Me.Project_Name)
    vMsg = "Project Name is missing"
    Case IsNull(Me.Department)
    vMsg = "Department is missing"
    End Select
    If vMsg <> "" Then
    Cancel = True
    MsgBox vMsg, vbCritical, kREQD
    End If
    End If
    End Sub

I tried to check in the group, but it seams i didn't find what i need. Probably it is something simple to be added at the close event but i cannot understand how to manage.
    Thanks for any suggestion.

Cheers.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    stop the close in the form UNLOAD event.
    the 'IsValidForm' would be your checks to make sure your data is correct

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
       if Not IsValidForm() then cancel = true

End Sub

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Why do you give the user the option to save changes before the mandatory fields are populated?

In the same form i have a button to close and save data (i know it is not necessary but user want to have it to close the form).
    Last edited by orange; 04-17-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add quote from original post

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarconi View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. My problem is the following:

I have an input bounded form which i use to create new projects. In this form there are some mandatory fields which need to be filled if the user want to save the record (managed by Before Updating event). In the same form i have a button to close and save data (i know it is not necessary but user want to have it to close the form).

At the moment i press the Close Button (the code in the button is simple docmd.close) the system, trough the Before Updating event:
    - ask if i want to save the record;
    - if answer is NO, close the form without save;
    - if the answer is Yes, it control if all mandatory fields are filled and if some mandatory fields are not filled, it gives a message with the field name to be filled.

At this point, my problem: since I'm in the "Close Button" event, it close ANYWAY the form while i would like it remain open to fill the missing information.
    Below is my Before update code:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If MsgBox("Do you want to save the changes for this record?", _
    vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Save Changes?") = vbNo Then
    Cancel = True
    Me.Undo
    Else
    vMsg = ""
    Select Case True
    Case IsNull(Me.RAMZ_ID)
    vMsg = "RAMZ ID is missing"
    Case IsNull(Me.Project_Name)
    vMsg = "Project Name is missing"
    Case IsNull(Me.Department)
    vMsg = "Department is missing"
    End Select
    If vMsg <> "" Then
    Cancel = True
    MsgBox vMsg, vbCritical, kREQD
    End If
    End If
    End Sub

I tried to check in the group, but it seams i didn't find what i need. Probably it is something simple to be added at the close event but i cannot understand how to manage.
    Thanks for any suggestion.
    Cheers.
    You could test for simple Null values using table validation without the need for any code in the form.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    stop the close in the form UNLOAD event.
    the 'IsValidForm' would be your checks to make sure your data is correct

Code:
       if Not IsValidForm() then cancel = true

End Sub

Good morning, and thanks for suggestion. So what i did:
    1. move (and adjust) the beforeupdate code to the function "IsValidForm"
    2. add the following to the UnLoad event:

'------------------------------------
    If Not IsValidForm() Then
    Cancel = True
    End If
    End Sub

But there is still something wrong. When i try to close the form (with the close button) system ask if i want to save data (as per IsValidForm) and:
    1. If i answer YES, he showed me which field is missing, but anyway it close and save the record if the Key is present;
    2. If i answer NO, I got RunTime Error 2051 - at the close button event (the close action was cancelled)

A part this and if everything will work, i suppose i need to delete the record if i decide to stop the input after the Key is inserted (otherwise record will be anyway saved).

Where i'm wrong ?

Thank you,
    Cheer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    You could test for simple Null values using table validation without the need for any code in the form.
    Good morning and thanks.
    Could you please explain better in detail? Shall i need to continue to use BeforeUpdate for validation? or how to do ?
    Cheers.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Why do you give the user the option to save changes before the mandatory fields are populated?
    Good morning and thanks for answer.
    I don't give the possibility to save record if all mandatory fields are not populated, but i need to give the possibility to close without save (i though trough BeforeUpdate + Close Button).
    Cheers.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarconi View Post
    Good morning and thanks.
    Could you please explain better in detail? Shall i need to continue to use BeforeUpdate for validation? or how to do ?
    Cheers.
    Open, in design view, the table that has the fields which are to be made mandatory.
    click on the appropriate field. It's field properties are listed below.
    In the "Validation Rule" property type Is Not Null
    In the Validation Text" property type the wording that you would like to appear when the rule is broken. Perhaps something like "Field [The Field Name] must be entered."

The attached db illustrates this approach. One table (tblTest), with two fields ("txt" and "num"). The "txt" field has the Validation applied to it.
    Form frmTest is bound to table tblTest but the only code used is for the button which closes the form.
    Try to enter/edit a record wher field "txt" is null.

Post back if you have questions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks a lot for clarification and example. Yes, i red about this solution which work fine but what I didn't like is that the system given an automatic "standard" message which refer to the <table.field> which is not nice (and understandable) for the user.
    From what you explain, I supposed the message in the "Validation Text" should appear, but it seems is not like that. Following what i get from your example, regardless you add a specific text in the Validation Text:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	47673

And another question: i need to give the possibility to close without save the record. How to manage in this case?

Cheers

Windows 10 Access 2016
    From what you explain, I supposed the message in the "Validation Text" should appear, but it seems is not like that. Following what i get from your example, regardless you add a specific text in the Validation Text:
    Yes, I thought it worked like that but if not then use the same properties of the text box on the form. That definitely works. I've just tried it
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Access 2016
    And another question: i need to give the possibility to close without save the record. How to manage in this case?
    Sorry, I missed this question.
    You could try the following code in the forms Before Update event:
    Code:
    If Me.Dirty Then    
         If MsgBox("Save this record?", vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
            Me.Undo
        End If
    End If
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If i answer NO, I got RunTime Error 2051 - at the close button event (the close action was cancelled)
    Just some info to explain this as it's a common issue that you might see again in the future.

Let's say you have a procedure (e.g. button click event) that contains a line to close a form. When that line is executed, program control passes to the unload event for that form. When the load event terminates control passes back to the event that contained the command to close the form. Here it is detected that a command was not completed, thus the error message. It could be said that this is unnecessary because it was the desired outcome, but it would seem that the wisest course of action would be to alert the user lest code unexpectedly caused the event to cancel. So a common solution is to trap error 2501 and ignore it. For more information, perhaps research error handling and events for Access objects. Here's a link for events in Access...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-ce86553682f9
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks to all, i really appreciate the effort to give suggestion in this group. The problem is me and now i'm confused.
    Considering the use of the field (or form) validation not work properly to me, or maybe it not work with my procedure (thanks Bob to share example DB), i would like to understand the use of the Unload Event and how to adjust the code of the Close Form button.
    I have the BeforeUpdate event section as per my code at the first post which will validate the data and, so far, in the close button event i have only "DOCMD.CLOSE".

Can someone explain with example how to:
    - Add Unload Event of the Form
    - Adjust the close button in order to allow the close only if all mandatory field (as per beforeupdate event) are filled ?

What i would like to have is:
    1. If i press the close button without any filled data, form is close;
    2. If i press the close button but at least one field is filled, the beforeupdate event will check if the mandatory fields are filled. If one or more mandatory fields are missing, procedure need to ask if i want to close (if yes data will be deleted because not all mandatory fields are filled, if not form will remain open);
    3. If i press the close button and all mandatory fields are filled, procedure will ask to confirm i want to save the record (if yes, form is close and data are saved, if no,t form is closed and data are deleted).

Thanks again for tremendous support and help you give and sorry if it is not clear to me but before to write again i tried to adjust using all what you suggested but i was not able to solve it.
    Cheers.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Good morning all. For your information and to close this tread, i decided to move forward in different way, i don't know if it is the best but cover all my requirements. What i did:
    1. In the input form i added 2 command button, one to "Exit without save", one to "Save record" (instead of only one);

2. In the click event of the "Exit Without Save" button i add the following code:

If Me.Dirty Then Me.Undo
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo

3. In the click event of the "Save&Close" button, i add what before was in the "BeforeUpdating" event (which i removed now). If any mandatory field is missed, i got the waring message with the indication of the missing field and the form is not closed.

This method, it seems fully cover all my requirements.

Thanks to all those support me to understand, it remain not clear to me the use of "Unload" event but will try to study and understand.
    Cheers.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    @lmarconi,

Be aware that the "Save" parameter for the command
    Code:
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo
    has nothing to do with saving or not saving the DATA in the record/controls. The "Save" parameter is for saving changes to the DESIGN of the object that you want to close (in this case a form).

Because you have not made changes to the DESIGN of the form, These three commands are equal:

Code:
    DoCmd.Close                              <<-- implicitly closes the active/current form
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name              <<-- explicitly closes the named form
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo    <<-- explicitly closes the named form without saving changes to the design of the form

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.