MsAxes is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to return random records based on a table?

I have a table (normally about 15-20k records) that is a quarter worth of data for employees travels. I am in the process of starting an audit (1st time) of their expense reports.

I would like to randomly select number of records in the 'Data' table but based on the 'Purpose' table 'Rec_to_Return' field BUT the County could only be returned once per 'Purpose'

Example, return 2 random rows for 'Pick-up' for 2 different counties or 2 'Delivery' rows for 2 different counties. Its okay if the county is repeated as long as the purpose is different.

Date Employee ID County Purpose
    1/4/2021 4 Clatsop Pick-up
    1/8/2021 3 Curry Pick-up
    1/29/2021 1 Clatsop Delivery
    1/9/2021 5 Columbia Delivery

I was wanting to use the link below but this doesn't take into the account the extra criteria of one county.

https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...043#post485043
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Advise not to use space in naming convention, nor reserved words as names - Date is a reserved word.

Why not using Autonumber as key field for Purpose and save into Data as foreign key instead of text? Same goes for County - save ID instead of County name.

Will need a unique ID field in Data table. Add an Autonumber field.

SELECT PKID, TripDate, County, Data.Purpose, DCount("*","Data","Purpose='" & Data.[Purpose] & "' AND County<>'" & [County] & "' AND PKID<" & [PKID])+1 AS GrpSeq
    FROM [Purpose] INNER JOIN [Data] ON [Purpose].Purpose = Data.Purpose
    WHERE (((DCount("*","Data","Purpose='" & Data.Purpose & "' AND County<>'" & [County] & "' AND PKID<" & [PKID])+1)<=[Purpose].[Rec_to_Return]));

However, as already noted in other thread, same records return each time query runs. So need to incorporate VBA.

Trying to incorporate the County restriction and pull dynamic N records has me stumped. But still looking at.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I added the fields you suggested but I'm getting an error because of the PKID field.

As far as the VbA, I think I will use the one you provided in the other post but tweak it a bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    As already noted, have to add a unique ID field to Data table - autonumber should serve. I called it PKID.

This is what I came up with. Build a 'temp' table to save records for audit.

Code:
    Sub RandomSeq()
    Dim db As DAO.Database, rs As DAO.Recordset, rs1 As DAO.Recordset, rs2 As DAO.Recordset, x As Integer, strP As String
    CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE FROM AuditRecs"
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM Purpose")
    Set rs2 = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM [AuditRecs]")
    Set db = CurrentDb
    Do While Not rs.EOF
        Set rs1 = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT Data.*, Purpose.Rec_to_Return FROM Data INNER JOIN Purpose ON Data.Purpose = Purpose.Purpose " & _
                                        " WHERE Data.Purpose='" & rs!Purpose & "' ORDER BY Data.Purpose, Rnd([PKID])")
        x = 1
        Do While x <= rs1!Rec_to_Return And Not rs1.EOF
            rs2.AddNew
            If DCount("*", "AuditRecs", "Purpose='" & rs1!Purpose & "' AND County='" & rs1!County & "'") = 0 Then
                rs2!DataPKID = rs1!PKID
                rs2!Purpose = rs1!Purpose
                rs2!County = rs1!County
                x = x + 1
            End If
            rs2.Update
            rs1.MoveNext
        Loop
        rs1.Close
        rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    End Sub
    Alternatively, add a Yes/No field in Data table to 'flag' record as selected for audit and modify code. If only one user at a time will run this procedure, this would be satisfactory.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It worked thank yo

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.