HELP with NULL DateTime VALUES

Hi,
    I'm creating a simple timeclock which I would like to have a running daily total of their hours during the day. For example, if they've clockin and then clock out for lunch it would give them their hours worked and then when they clocked out for the day it would give them the total hours for the day minus lunchtime.
    I have a module which calculates the time - it works perfectly if all punch fields have time in them. When there is a NULL time field it returns #ERROR in the field on teh form.
    My tables fields are clockin1, clockout1(lunch out), clockin2 (lunch in), and clockout2.
    here is my code:
    Dim interval As Double

If IsNull(IN1) = True And IsNull(OUT1) = True And IsNull(IN2) = True And IsNull(OUT2) = True Then Exit Function

If IsNull(IN1) = False And IsNull(OUT1) = False And IsNull(IN2) = True And IsNull(OUT2) = True Then
    interval = OUT1 - IN1
    ElseIf IsNull(IN1) = False And IsNull(OUT1) = False And IsNull(IN2) = False And IsNull(OUT2) = True Then
    interval = OUT1 - IN1
    ElseIf IsNull(IN1) = False And IsNull(OUT1) = False And IsNull(IN2) = False And IsNull(OUT2) = False Then
    interval = ((OUT2 - IN1) - (IN2 - OUT1))
    ElseIf IsNull(IN1) = False And IsNull(OUT1) = True And IsNull(IN2) = True And IsNull(OUT2) = True Then
    interval = OUT2 - IN1
    Else
    interval = 0

End If

When I step through the code - it doesn't seem to recognize a NULL datetime field. What am I doing wrong?
    Lisa

I figured a way around my problem. I created text fields on my form and put the following in the control source property:
    IIf ([ClockIn1] is null, 0,[clockIN1])
    I did this for all 4 of my datetime fields and now my code works fine because I send the created text field to the function not the table field.

I just have one more question - why was I having such trouble testing for null values on a datetime field?

jya is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm not sure if it was a typo, but I see a problem with your last condition. I believe the last check should be 'IsNull(OUT2) is FALSE' not TRUE. Otherwise, I have no idea why you had the problem.

By the way, you may want to try another forum. That one gets more responses than this one does.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/

I did catch that error at the end (should be false rather than true) but it was really strange that no matter what I did or how I did it - i couldn't get it to recognize a NULL date field. Very strange. I'm using my workaround rather than spend any more time on it. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. thanks for the link and the reposonse.
    Lisa

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.