davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

User Friendly Access Media Player for Audio

Provides a friendly User Interface for playing songs in your Windows Media Player library.

This app works fine for me, but it does use an activeX media player control. The control
    has been updated infrequently by Microsoft, with 2011 being the last, I think.
    There is VERY little documentation or reference for using the control with VBA on the
    internet. 99.9% of the coverage is for vb, vb.net, C#, etc. So I had to plough my
    own way, and here is the fruit of my labors.
    Some of the methods and properties produced unexpected results, or no results for me.
    I found workarounds for all critical code oddities and made notes of same with inline
    code comments.
    This app addresses Audio only. It can probably be adapted to handle video as well,
    and is possibly a better starting point than proceeding from scratch. At this point in
    time, I'm too burned out to attemp it. Getting audio to work reliably was a chore.

In references, if you show more than one Windows Media Player checkbox, choose the one for wmp.dll

The program will automatically acquire your music library playlists, songs and artists.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Player .png 
Views:	291 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	47364 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refdll.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	47365

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Looks good Dave

If you are interested, I have my own media player app that does video as well as audio.
    I mentioned it in this post: https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...832#post478832

Much of the code was by another forum member from Greece (@accesstos?) which I translated into English.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Looks good Dave

If you are interested, I have my own media player app that does video as well as audio.
    I mentioned it in this post: https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...832#post478832

Much of the code was by another forum member from Greece (@accesstos?) which I translated into English.
    It appears that your prog might be using the Groove reference libraries, which do not appear at all on my system.
    Apparently MS has depricated Groove in favor of a single wmp.dll for Access. Just in case accesstos did use wmp.dll, I'd like to see it.
    He's pretty big on class modules, and maybe he was able to wrap some of the obscure code into that.
    Last edited by davegri; 03-03-2022 at 10:35 PM. Reason: sp

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    The attached app uses Windows Media Player.

It was Bill who wanted to use Groove which was listed in references for A2010 but isn't listed any more.
    Having said that Groove is still working under Windows 10

There are no class modules and the code seems fairly simple though I haven't looked at it for a couple of years.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember how much of the code was done by Tassos and what I did.
    I do know I translated the interface & modified the API declarations - tested in both 32-bit & 64-bit.

I haven't yet had time to look at your demo app.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Don't understand logic. The 'pick folder' button starts a dialog to open a file (msoFileDialogType=3), but then tries to process the result as a folder?
    I change the msoFileDialogType to 4 (folder) and it still errors. I'll look at it further when I have some time...

Windows 10 Access 2016
    For you who have downloaded the DB in post #1, you will notice scrambled data in a listbox, caused by a last minute design change that missed a step. Here's the patch: Change the 3 to 2.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musicpng.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	47418

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.