Philislost is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

form won't save and close

I have a form with drop down (combo). It is just to restrict the number of selections and reduce the list size. Should be simple but after loads of problems I decided to delete the "Between dates" bit and alow the whole list to appear but now it won't save and close the form. I click close, it asks me if I want to save, I say yes and nothing happens!

Help

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    hmmm....what's the rowsource of the cbo? is it conflicting with table properties? how did you add the new value? what's the rowsource property? value list or sql statement?

I'm wondering if it's not saving because you're violating something that is hard to find. e.g. - I write php with mysql and I was having a ridiculous time yesterday trying to figure out why it wasn't appending records in a script I wrote. used the error function, NOTHING.

turns out, it doesn't give you any information ... the ID field was not set to 'auto increment' so it was rejecting the query because of PK violations!

make sure you check everything you can possibly think of that's tied to the combo. It's most likely something similar to what I experience with mysql.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Currenty the rowsource is SELECT tour.ID, tour.[Tour Name], tour.[Dep Date] FROM tour WHERE (((tour.[Dep Date]) Between [Forms]![Limitdates]![limittostart] And [Forms]![Limitdates]![limittoend])) ORDER BY tour.[Dep Date] DESC;

but I am not that bothered about limiting the list so I am replacing it with

SELECT tour.ID, tour.[Tour Name], tour.[Dep Date] FROM tour ORDER BY tour.[Dep Date] DESC;

Simple? It should be!!!

I must be blind or stupid cos I can't see anything wrong.

P

Windows 7 Access 2007
    One strange thing is that when I try to optimise the database I am told to add an index to the Dep date in the Tour table. BUT this is already indexed. Maybe a connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Philislost View Post
    One strange thing is that when I try to optimise the database I am told to add an index to the Dep date in the Tour table. BUT this is already indexed. Maybe a connection?
    are you using the performance analyzer to do that? yeah...never heard it do that before.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the FE/BE combo or a connection that you're talking about. could you upload it maybe?

if you do upload, make sure to say what form to look at, what to do exactly, etc...

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    are you using the performance analyzer to do that? yeah...never heard it do that before.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the FE/BE combo or a connection that you're talking about. could you upload it maybe?

if you do upload, make sure to say what form to look at, what to do exactly, etc...
    is there an easyway to remove most of the data - its a bit big as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Philislost View Post
    is there an easyway to remove most of the data - its a bit big as it is!
    try putting together a function to populate some fake data. either one, or both of these will help you out:

http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/_...eleteAllData()

http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/_...BackupSource()

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.