tagteam is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Cant join on text fields between sql server and access

I am trying to import data from a csv. the base import works fine but I want to add data in a couple of fields so I am trying to create a query that will join the sql server table and the access table. I join it on two fields. a car number and car initials. I am able to join on the car number but it wont let me join on the initial, which is just a text field.

Does anyone know why this is happening.

One interesting thing I am seeing is that in the query if I click in the Initial field the data looks blank. If I click out it shows the data. This doesn't happen on any of the other fields so It must be related to the issue somehow.

Update, I dug a bit further and it appears that the sql import is importing a leading space in that text field. I was able to create a sub query and use right(initial,4) and then use that subquery in the main query and it worked. However, I cant change the field size to 4 because it will fail the import (some fields I don't need get imported and later deleted and they are longer than 4)

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    What are the SQL data types involved. It sounds line Char or similar which is effectively a fixed width field?

Use a VarChar or NVarChar instead.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

I was using VarChar set to 50 so I switched it to nchar (4) and also tried VarChar(4) so that it could only import the necessary data. However, it fails with a truncate error. I believe this is because there are 3-4 blank lines at the end of the file (i dont control the way the file comes) and so unless I set the varchar value high it will not run the import.

Both are text, it is just that for some reason the import adds a blank space on at the beginning so when I try the join it sees it as a different value of course.

I am going to mark this as solved because the problem appears to be in the sql side, not the access side.

If you have enough rights on the SQL server, try importing the file directly into SQL server. You can use a SSIS package to do this. Doing so will give you a lot of extra possibilities.

Yes, I have access to the server. I have never done an SSIS package but downloaded Visual Studio and created a catalog yesterday and it does indeed seem to have a lot of possibilities, thanks for the heads up

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.