Ant_Snell is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365

One or two tables of similar data

I am just requesting a bit of advice on pros & cons re design. I am doing a DB with employee information table’s ( Name, DOB, Address, Qualifications etc.) I want to also include information for job applicants. Many of the details would be exactly the same as an applicant may well become an employee. I am unsure if it would be better to have an applicant table, with status’s say: Applicant, interviewed, job offered, rejected etc. then append all the details into an employee table if the applicant joins the company. Or just have one table including applicants and employees but then filter records via queries to only show employees or applicants depending on requirements. Re pros and cons, I am thinking in the terms of speed potentially having a table full of applicants who never got past interview stage ( I will obviously purge old details periodically for GDPR reasons).

Thanks for your comments

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Really think it is a matter of personal choice. Using a single table simplifies forms since you only need the one form, but then additional filtering work. Or two forms and additional work transferring data. Re performance, with proper indexing, should not make a significant difference.

You mention a qualifications field - I would expect this to be in a separate child table since employees/applicants could have more than one qualification. Same with status - I would have that in a separate table as an applicant could apply for more than one job. Status could also hold the value for 'employed' or 'role' if they are employed. Include a date field and that will tell you when an applicant applied, was accepted/rejected or an employee changed role

Ant_Snell is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks Ajax
    re the child tables, yes the both the employee table and the applicant table (should I do one) would have many related child tables, I was just trying to make the question concise without to much detail. I am leaning towards separate tables for employees & applicants at this stage but was just interested in people’s views.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.