Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Need to identify *candidate* fields (from target system) based on legacy fields (source system)

Experts:

As part of a field mapping activity, I need some recommendations for identifying *candidate* fields.

Attached DB contains two tables "Source" & "Target" as well as two (test) queries.

Background for table "Source":
    - Contains 20 sample records
    - In MS-Excel, I applied text delimitation (by space).
    - All existing values then were placed into separate fields (e.g., [F1] and [F2]. For example, legacy field = "Inspection ID" was separated into "Inspection" [F1] and "ID" [F2].
    - The text delimitation was needed as I WILL NOT find the value "Inspection ID" in the target table "Target".
    - That is, legacy data includes all spaces while the 2nd table does NOT include any spaces.
    - However, I might find either "*Inspection*" OR "*ID*" by themselves in table [Target].
    - Please note that wildcards were placed into the latter keywords "*Inspection*" OR "*ID*".

** Please note that I also included original source table "Source_Original_No_TextDelimitation"... which as the object name indicates does NOT include the delimited fields.

Background for table "Target":
    - Contains 5926 sample records.
    - Within these 5926 records, I need to find either a) one candiate field or b) many candidate fields that are appropriate for mapping the original legacy field "Inspection ID" to a target field.
    - For example, "Inspection ID" could be mapped to the following:
    -- ID 3099 | IRMAP_INSPECTION_ID
    -- ID 3163 | REC_INSPECTION_ID
    -- ID 4426 | RIT2_INSPECTION_TYPE_TIER1_ID

Additional background:
    - Table "Source" includes only 20 sample records. However, in my actual DB, it includes nearly 300 records.
    - Once text delimited, I deal nearly with 1000 "keywords" that I currently have to manually look up (via "Find") in Excel or Access. This is not an efficient process.

Existing Query "qry01_Wildcard_Keyword_Inspection":
    - "qry01_Wildcard_Keyword_Inspection" uses criteria = "Like "*" & "Inspection" & "*"".
    - It returns the 3 candidate fields (from table "Target") to which I potentially will/should map the legacy field.
    - Naturally, as specified in the "additional background", I would have to manually copy/paste all text-deliminated keywords into this query in order to find the appropriate matches.

Existing Query "qry02_Wildcard_TargetTable":
    - This is a MOCK QUERY and it doesn't work.
    - However, conceptually, I was hoping to use a criteria, e.g. such as "Like "*" & [Source].[F1] & "*"" in order to automatically place all values from [Source].[F1] and/or [Source].[F2] into the criteria.

Question:
    How can I use either a) query or b) VBA to generate the following results?
    "Inspection" | IRMAP_INSPECTION_ID
    "Inspection" | REC_INSPECTION_ID
    "Inspection" | RIT2_INSPECTION_TYPE_TIER1_ID
    {results in only 3 records... perfect!}

"ID" | ATC_ACCOUNT_ID
    "ID" | ATC_TRAINING_COURSE_ID
    {results in 2,273 candidate fields... not good!}

** Note: Given that field value/keyword, e.g., "ID" is so generic (and results in 2,273 matches), it may be required to use the backup table "Source_Original_No_TextDelimitation".
    In this case, value "INSPECTION_ID" can be mapped to only 2 fields: IRMAP_INSPECTION_ID & REC_INSPECTION_ID

Applying this concept to other values such as changing "Inspection Date" to "Inspection_Date" will result in zero (0) matches.

Does anyone know how to efficiently identify candidate fields -- via query of VBA -- in table "Target" based on either table "Source" or "Source_Original_No_TextDelimitation".

Thank you,
    EEH
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Tom(EEH),

Won't your mappings be somewhat dependent on the prefixes in Target.
    I get 805 distinct acronyms for that table. Suggest there is more to the mapping than best guess for something in Source to "match" TARGET.
    What do these things mean? Just a sample.
    MyID Acronym
    1 ATC
    3 AFHL
    11 AHRM
    13 AFN
    23 ANFA
    31 AIR
    35 ACFT
    125 ACOMP
    135 AEGR

Try:
    Code:
    SELECT Target.ID, Target.FIELDNAME, Source.f1, Source.f2
    FROM Target, Source
    WHERE 
    (Target.FIELDNAME) Like "*" & [source].[f1] & "*" & [source].[f2] & "*" OR
    (Target.FIELDNAME) Like "*" & [source].[f2] & "*" & [source].[f1] & "*"

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Tom,

Here is a simple query-based solution, I hope I got what you are trying to accomplish...

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Vlad:

I love this it's approach... very simple yet extremely powerful.

Just one quick follow-up... after posting the sample file, I realized I need 3 fields (i.e, F1, F2, and F3).

In the attached DB, I made the necessary changes to the table. However, I'm not entirely certain if I applied all changes correctly in the query "qry01_Candidate_Mapping".

Below are the changes I made:
    1. Inserted F3 and set criteria "Is Null" in 2nd OR statement.
    2. For F1, I added another TRUE to 2nd OR statement.
    3. Added expression "Match_F3: InStr([FIELDNAME],[F3])>0"
    4. Added TRUE to 2nd OR statement of the new expression.

However, I wasn't entirely certain whether or not I also needed to add a 2nd TRUE for Match_F2.

Here's my concern... once I execute the query, I see a few "0" in the Match_F2 field. Should that read "-1" instead?

Am I missing something?

Jack -- I just ran your query... I get the same results in in the version posted by Vlad. Perfect!

As per my response (post #4), I'll try adding the 3rd field. Thank you.

Tom

Gicu is online now VIP
    Hi Tom,
    I think this is how it should be....
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Vlad:

Excellent -- I realized that the Is Null had been set up incorrectly. Thank you for the additional recommendation. If I ever had to add a 4th field, I will compare notes between "2 Fields" and "3 Fields" and then identify what changes are required.

Btw, I did the following for eval purposes:
    - In the query, I filtered for value "-1" (in [F3])
    - It illustrates that it found a perfect match for those 4 records.
    - That is fantastic!

Note:
    - Per attached JPG, I realized that this matching/mapping query results in some duplicates.
    - Thus, I applied "GroupBy" and it reduced the candidate record set from 2,399 possible matches to now 766 matches.

I'm loving it!!

//

Jack -- your query is perfect too. It's a slightly different setup but it gives me the same results.

KUDOS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Results.JPG  

Gicu is online now VIP
    Tom,
    Glad to hear it works for you; you might get a slight improvement in speed if you replace the Group By with Distinct:
    Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target_AFSAS.FIELDNAME, InStr([FIELDNAME],[F1])>0 AS Match_F1, InStr([FIELDNAME],[F2])>0 AS Match_F2, InStr([FIELDNAME],[F3])>0 AS Match_F3
    FROM tbl_Target_AFSAS, tbl_Source
    WHERE (((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F1])>0)=True) AND ((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F2])>0)=True) AND ((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F3])>0)=True)) OR (((tbl_Source.F3) Is Null) AND ((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F1])>0)=True) AND ((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F2])>0)=True)) OR (((tbl_Source.F2) Is Null) AND ((tbl_Source.F3) Is Null) AND ((InStr([FIELDNAME],[F1])>0)=True))
    ORDER BY tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3;
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Thank you, Vlad:

As recommended, I replaced Group By with Distinct.

Cheers,
    Tom

Vlad:

Forgive for asking a follow-up question. I love the current approach; I realized though that I **may** need to slightly modify the method for catching all possible fieldnames in the target table.

- Per the attached JPG, I have included only one (1) record -- for testing only -- in the source table.
    - This single record contains 2 keywords.
    - Now, in the target table, there are 5 records where ID #1 and #1 include BOTH keywords but in different orders (within the fieldname).
    - Next, record #3 doesn't include either keyword.
    - Finally, record #4 and $5 include one of the 2 keywords.

At the present time, the query correctly picks up record #1 and #2.

To further open the aperture, I'm wondering if there's a way to have a secondary query that allows show all 4 records (1, 2, 4, 5). Is that doable? If so, how?

Thank you in advance for the continued help!

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewQuery.JPG  

Windows 10 Office 365
    Tom,

A little different format

id F1 F2 F3 SCHEMA FIELDNAME Match_ON
    1 DATE DEFICIENCY
    COMMONDATA AFSAS_DEFICIENCY_DATE DATE, DEFICIENCY
    2 DATE DEFICIENCY
    COMMONDATA AFSAS_DATE_DEFICIENCY DATE, DEFICIENCY
    4 DATE DEFICIENCY
    COMMONDATA AFSAS_INJURY_DATE DATE
    5 DATE DEFICIENCY
    COMMONDATA AFSAS_DEFICIENCY DEFICIENCY

Using query

Code:
    SELECT tbl_Target.id, tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f1 &", " & f2,0) as Match_ON
    FROM tbl_Source, tbl_Target
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f1 &"," & f2,0) 

UNION
    SELECT tbl_Target.Id,tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)=0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f2,0) as
     Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)=0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f2,0)

UNION
    SELECT tbl_Target.Id,tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)=0),f1,0) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)=0),f1,0)
    Last edited by orange; 01-27-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: separate the union queries for readability

Jack -- I like it! I LIKE IT A LOT!!

Thank you for offering an alternative method that achieves the revised requirement.

W/ your permission, please allow me to ask a *forward-leaning* question. As you are fully aware, this version includes 3 keywords (F1, F2, F3). Again, it works great!

There a chance, however, that I may need to include a 4th keyword (F4) some time in the future. Given I can't view the SQL in design mode (UNION query), what lines in the SQL would have to be added/edited to accommodate a 4th keyword (F4) while preserving the same method of operations?

Thanks,
    Tom

Windows 10 Office 365
    I set up a test with 3

Modified Source as
    ID F1 F2 F3
    1 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW

and added #6 in Target

ID SCHEMA FIELDNAME
    6 Test AFSAS_DEFICIENCY_REVIEW_DATE
    id F1 F2 F3 SCHEMA FIELDNAME Match_ON
    1 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW COMMONDATA AFSAS_DEFICIENCY_DATE DATE, DEFICIENCY
    2 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW COMMONDATA AFSAS_DATE_DEFICIENCY DATE, DEFICIENCY
    4 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW COMMONDATA AFSAS_INJURY_DATE DATE
    5 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW COMMONDATA AFSAS_DEFICIENCY DEFICIENCY
    6 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW Test AFSAS_DEFICIENCY_REVIEW_DATE DATE, DEFICIENCY
    6 DATE DEFICIENCY REVIEW Test AFSAS_DEFICIENCY_REVIEW_DATE DATE, DEFICIENCY, REVIEW

I'll set up a test with 4 or more keywords. You say may need 4---but will you need 5 or 6? The approach could be different.

This is the sql for the 3 test.
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_Target.id, tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3,0 ) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3,0 )

UNION
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f1 &", " & f2,0) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f1 &"," & f2,0) 

UNION
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)=0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f2,0) as
     Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)=0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)>0),f2,0)

UNION SELECT tbl_Target.Id,tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME
    ,iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)=0),f1,0) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and (instr(fieldname,f2)=0),f1,0)

Windows 10 Office 365
    Tom,

This is the SQL to find 4 keywords in any order in a Target

Code:
    select 
    tbl_Target.id, tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3,tbl_source.f4, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME,
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0  and instr(fieldname,f4)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3 & ", " & f4,0 ) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0  and instr(fieldname,f4)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3 & ", " & f4,0 )
    And it gets more complex from here, since you must accommodate all possibilities for 3 keywords True out of 4

and then 2 keywords out of 4

This is the SQL to find 3 keywords (any 3 of the 4 identified in the Source) This is for F1 and F2 and F3 only. You need similar code for the other arrangements

Code:
    UNION
    select 
    tbl_Target.id, tbl_Source.F1, tbl_Source.F2, tbl_Source.F3,tbl_source.f4, tbl_Target.SCHEMA, tbl_Target.FIELDNAME,
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3,0) as Match_ON
    WHERE
    iif(instr(FieldName,f1)>0 and instr(fieldname,f2)>0  and instr(fieldname,f3)>0 ,f1 & ", " & f2  & ", " & f3,0)

Jack -- I am 99% confident that I won't need to go beyond 4 keywords. So, having a scenario that would show all 4 keywords in the MATCH_ON would be great.

Btw, the latest SQL with the 3 keywords is already very powerful. In your test, ID #6 is found twice where MATCH_ON:
    DATE, DEFICIENCY
    DATE, DEFICIENCY, REVIEW

Now, the listing of both records for ID #6 is correct; however, the 1st instance (with only 2 keywords) is somewhat redundant as it is inherited in the 2nd instance (with 3 keywords). Is there an easy solution to only include one (1) per record ID... the one with the largest amount of keywords (i.e., 3 in this case)? If not, that'll be okay too... 'just wanted to double-check in case there was an easy solution.

Thank you.

//

After posting this, I just noticed your post #14. I'll check it out. Do both forum code sections have to be joined together for the 4th keyword? I'm asking as one references 4 keywords and the other code section references 3 keywords. Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.