TWD48 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Database Keeps Getting Corrupted - "Unrecognized Database Format"

Hi all,

I created an Access split database for our various HR departments to enter in their employee covid records. It worked great until the end of December when apparently Microsoft released an updated that screwed things up with the lock files. I worked with the IT department and we pushed out an update that seemed to fix the issues. But today, I started getting this error whenever I try to access the table data in my Be backend file on the server:

"unrecognized database format"

I opened the backend file and Microsoft immediately gave me the message that the database was in an inconsistant state and would need to be repaired. After doing the repair, I was able to access my forms and database. I thought I had dodged a bullet, but then none of my queries would work. It would say that something about another user was trying to save at the same time. I ended having to manually export all the records from the tables and manually count and filter in Excel taking me hours of work. The weird thing is Access allowed me to create brand new queries and run them though.

The final kick to the pants is the "unrecognized database format" error is back and this time, Microsoft isn't giving the message to repair it. The only weird thing I see is there are two open lock files on the server and it won't let me delete them because they are in use. I feel totally screwed here and ready to give up on Access completely. Only thing I can think of is maybe some users are accessing it with an older build of Windows. Can anyone help???

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    this happens due to an Office update. (thanks Microsoft)
    Run a registry fix on the PC.
    Our corruptions are zero so far.

Save this into a file SmbCAchFix.reg
    then dbl-click it on the PC.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
    "FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
    "FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
    "DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.