JuanL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Using Queries to create entries

I am fairly new to Access, FYI

I am making a vendor database that includes the types of services offered by a vendor. I would like to have something like a Multiple Items form that is filled with the different services and a checkbox to indicate if the vendor offers that service. The only thing is that I don't want to create a checkbox for every type of service especially in the case that we add something. What I've done is create a table that includes the service field and a checkbox. A separate table houses vendor info like name and address. One query makes a list of the vendor names. I use a separate query to pull the service and checkbox with the vendor name query. This almost does what I want. It ties a vendor name to the whole list. This way, I can open the form and filter by name. However, I cannot update the checkbox. I get why: there are multiple vendors trying to control the same checkbox - in a sense. Is there an automated way to do this besides creating a checkbox for each service?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What you are describing is a many to many relationship so you need 3 tables, not 2.

tblVendors
    VendorPK
    VendorName

tblServices
    ServicePK
    ServiceName

tblVendorServices
    VendorServicePK
    VendorFK
    ServiceFK

PK=Primary Key to uniquely identify the record
    FK=Foreign Key - to identify with vendor or service

in a form you would have a main form based on tblVendors and a subform based on tblVendorServices which would use a combo to select a service from tblServices

or the other way round - a main form based on tblServices and a subform based on tblVendorServices which would use a combo to select a vendor from tblVendors

JuanL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax

Thanks for the reply. I've been busy with other projects, but I finally have time to get back to this one. I'm trying to have the whole list of services available to be selected and deselected for any given vendor. I liken it to the process for selecting skills during a job application. The whole list is available for you to check off and when you select it, the skill is tied to you; or deselecting it removes that skill. I'd imagine that tying the service to the vendor would still require the many to many relationship, but I am not sure how to achieve something like a list of services for each vendor with a checkbox that ties the two together.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    explained in my post - a mainform and a subform.

if you want tickboxes you will need to use a multivalue field, but be warned, it will create a hidden junction table and mess around with relationships so you lose some control, and can cause issues down the line because they are not that easy to work with.

JuanL is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax

I took your advice to avoid the hidden junction table. Now I am creating a search query that contains the vendor table and the join table. The issue is that when I search by the vendor name, it returns different rows for as many services that are tied to that vendor. I can see why it would do it, but I would prefer to eliminate the other rows. I tried using the "unique values" and "unique records" properties for the query, but it did not make a difference. Any advice?

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.