thekruser is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Arrow Host a back end on a web server.

What I have:
    Split db (Access 2010)

Linux hosting

What I am trying to do:
    I would like to be able to put the BE on my hosting account and then be able to dl the front end to whatever computer I am working at for on-the-go db updates. I would also like to incorporate a form on one of my websites for users to input information into my db.

The problem:
    The Linux server. Not sure if this is possible or not. I am also unsure as to the possibly security issues with having an annonymous user being able to input information. Not the quality of the information they enter, more the ability for them to gain access to the db through the web form and steal my design.

My main focus is the FE/BE issue. The web form is just an idea of mine. Just thought I would include it here.

Any suggestions? Not sure where to begin. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    why would someone be able to steal your design kruser? I don't have 2010 so I don't know what web forms look like, or what their purpose is. But if you're running Linux, I assume that you are running a mysql back end? I have linux with godaddy and they do not offer sql server databases on linux platform. for good reason I might add.

I believe all you have to do to get that interfacing set up on the front end is just capture your dsn and download the appropriate driver...I may be a little bit off there though.

I am currently playing with this idea as well, because doing things online is much easier for clients than running access on their machines as the source. the FE updates also get to be a pain in the rear.

and why would you have a form on your website AND issue the Access FE's? that doesn't make much sense just thinking about it. so are you using mysql then? and who is your hosting through?

I am very happy with my PHP/MYSQL setup. When I switched to Linux I was also happy about the amount of traffic it could handle compared to the windows servers...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.