Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    2

    Question Optical prescription data: Displaying + and - symbols in the fields

    Hello, we are novice users of Access, hope it is OK to ask what might be a simple question!



    We have a table with fields to capture optical prescription data which needs to include + and - symbols. An example of the fields and data are:
    LeftSph +3.25
    LeftCyl -0.25

    The fields need to be numeric as we need to do a calculation to add together the data in a report to generate the right order detail.

    It is essential to include the symbols. The - symbol is fine, but is there any way a numeric field can display the + symbol?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Swansea,South Wales,UK
    Posts
    2,051
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

  3. #3
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerers_daughter View Post
    Hello, we are novice users of Access, hope it is OK to ask what might be a simple question!

    We have a table with fields to capture optical prescription data which needs to include + and - symbols. An example of the fields and data are:
    LeftSph +3.25
    LeftCyl -0.25

    The fields need to be numeric as we need to do a calculation to add together the data in a report to generate the right order detail.

    It is essential to include the symbols. The - symbol is fine, but is there any way a numeric field can display the + symbol?
    IMHO It might be best to have a seperate text field to store the symbol in.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  4. #4
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,644
    @Bob, why is that? Then the concatenated result will be a string?
    The number format should be simple - +0.00;-0.00 and AFAIK, values will remain numeric.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

  5. #5
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    @Bob, why is that? Then the concatenated result will be a string?
    The number format should be simple - +0.00;-0.00 and AFAIK, values will remain numeric.
    I'm not sure about the why.... could be the onset of senility... could even be the result of one glass to many.
    On reflection using format would seem to be a much better solution.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  6. #6
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,644
    could even be the result of one glass to many.
    That's usually my excuse. You're getting off to an early start!
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

  7. #7
    Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK - Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,224
    It's nearly 5:00pm here...
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

  8. #8
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,644
    Ahh, yes. I guess Bob is a Brit.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    I'm not sure about the why.... could be the onset of senility... could even be the result of one glass to many.
    On reflection using format would seem to be a much better solution.
    Thanks Bob and Micron - format has sorted it!

  10. #10
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,644
    Kudos to Welshgasman for suggesting it and providing the link for you. Maybe give him a rep boost?
    Last edited by Micron; 01-18-2022 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added comment
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

  11. #11
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    That's usually my excuse. You're getting off to an early start!
    If I have another couple I could be in for an early finish too!!
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  12. #12
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    3,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Kudos to Welshgasman for suggesting it and providing the link for you. Maybe give him a rep boost?
    I agree entirely
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. About Formulas and Symbols
    By notrino in forum Forms
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 09:15 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
  3. What's With the Forum Symbols
    By Micron in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 04:19 AM
  4. Insert Symbols
    By Eddy Sincere in forum Access
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM
  5. Symbols in the data (problem?)
    By dccjr in forum Access
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Other Forums: Microsoft Office Forums