TOPSie is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

File Not Found

Windows 10 - Office 2016.

I have large Access application - code in an accdb file with a backend mdb database.

I am constantly adding new developments, doing so in small increments (keeping all previous copies of the accdb file).

Occasionally the latest version of some minor code changes, will fail "File Not Found" on start up.
    The initial splash screen has an OK button - and clicking that (when it eventually appears - as it is very slow to appear when this happens) gives a message about "the on-click event failed......File Not Found".
    It goes no further and can only be stopped by using Task Manager.
    Sometimes if you run the Compile option on the vba code it will come up with a compiler error - but often this will also say "File not found" - stopping (yellow highlight) on the Form Load event for the splash screen.

The only way I have found to get round this is to go back to a previous working code module and reapply the changes. Which works.

Today has been a complete disaster as searching for a solution led me to a Microsoft page that recommended a complete diagnostic check on Office. Despite being dubious I went ahead. After several minutes it eventually completed, then said there was an error and completely removed all Office programs (including Access) from my machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone offer any solace?????

I have run diagnostics and repairs many times, and it has never done that to me?
    What is stopping you reinstalling?
    Some code must be in that splash form load causing that?, picture loading perhaps and someone has moved/deleted it?
    Hard to say, can only guess without seeing the code.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have not touched the Splash screen or its code for years. The changes I make are far far away from the initial screens.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSie View Post
    I have not touched the Splash screen or its code for years. The changes I make are far far away from the initial screens.
    OK, but when something was working for years and then stops working, it is generally a change in data? or perhaps an update.

The data in your case, could be the location of some file, which was there for years and now gone?
    Again just guessing as nothing else supplied to go on?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Of course something has changed - first rule of bug fixing!!. In most cases it is the code I am changing. I must presume that when you load an accdb file that Access does some sort of integrity check. But File Not Found just seems to be some sort of catch-all error (I once worked on the system that threw this message " Either a hardware or a software error has occurred".
    As I said this has happened to me quite a few times and sometimes doing a Compile - will through up some errors - but only ever the first one it finds. If you are lucky enough to find the error just fix it and off you go.
    It would be nice if there was some sort of trace you could set up to trace load time errors!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Is there some indication of what File is not found?
    I could see table or form etc, but file seems to imply some external object????
    M$oft updates have had some issues.....
    You have backups, right.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Without any trace info for the load of the accdb (which I assume does not exist or is certainly not viewable) there is no indication of which "File" is "not found". This app has been running and being enhanced by me for three years ( the app itself is 20+ years old)
    The only "Files" are the twin accdb and the mdb. No code changes are made which refer to any other file. This fail has happened intermittently as I have produced new versions during my tenure.
    Each time I make a smallish change I create a new copy of the accdb.
    During this current occurrence of this error I am slowly introducing the code change I have made since the last "good" copy - in very small increments. So far I have done 7 small increments, and not hit the error and already way past some of the changes that caused the error in the past.
    I don't think MS updates are involved as the frequency of the issue does not coincide with these.
    Almost 2 days wasted - but nearly there.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You do backup the mdb BE too, right?
    No chance the File not found error is coming from some strange path in the application.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The backend MDB is backed up daily (and sometimes more often). I have never "fixed" this by attaching a different copy of the mdb. Never specifically tried to do this in the exact circumstances - but the development model does interchange various versions of the accdb and mdb all the time.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'd try a compact & repair, which may or may not run because of possible compile errors. Sometimes advisable to do this on a copy but it seems you have lots of those to fall back on. A problem can pass from one copy to another, so consider creating a new db and importing everything into it. If the issue is within the root of the db, you should be able to get rid of it. If it's in a nav pane object, perhaps not.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I occasionally get file not found errors and, in my experience, it usually indicates corruption in compilation code.
    I suggest decompiling the database which is usually effective and only takes a few seconds. See https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcce.../Decompile.asp

Transferring all objects into a new blank database can also work but takes longer and at times just transfers the problem as well.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.