Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lesg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    provide the actual code you are using together with any error messages as I cannot see anything wrong with the code I provided once the extra ) is taken out - the previous error message you provided was quite clear as to what and where the problem was
    This is the code currently with the extra closing bracket removed:

cboProducts.RowSource = "SELECT DISTINCTROW tblPrices.productID, products.Item, tblPrices.price, tblinventory.Sumofqty, tblPrices.CustID, tblPrices.available" & _
    " FROM ((products INNER JOIN tblPrices ON products.productID = tblPrices.productID) INNER JOIN tblUnits ON products.unitsID = tblUnits.unitsID) LEFT JOIN tblinventory ON tblPrices.productID = tblinventory.productID" & _
    " WHERE products.Item Like '*' & [cboProducts].text & '*' AND tblPrices.CustID=" & Me.[txtcustID] & " AND tblPrices.available=False" & _
    " ORDER BY products.Item"

And this is the error I get:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	search error03.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	47059

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    that is saying that you have a null value for txtCustID - look at the error message - you have

....tblPrices.CustID=" & me.[txtCustID] & " AND....

and in the error message

...tblPrices.CustID= AND....

Windows 10 Office 365
    that is saying that you have a null value for txtCustID - look at the error message - you have

....tblPrices.CustID=" & me.[txtCustID] & " AND....

and in the error message

...tblPrices.CustID= AND....
    Ah ok, let me look into that, will update

Windows 10 Office 365
    perhaps try in the cboProducts change event

Code:
    cboProducts.rowsource="SELECT DISTINCTROW tblPrices.productID, products.Item, tblPrices.price, tblinventory.Sumofqty, tblPrices.CustID, tblPrices.available" & _
                          " FROM ((products INNER JOIN tblPrices ON products.productID = tblPrices.productID) INNER JOIN tblUnits ON products.unitsID = tblUnits.unitsID) LEFT JOIN tblinventory ON tblPrices.productID = tblinventory.productID" & _
                          " WHERE products.Item Like '*' & [cboProducts].text & '*' AND tblPrices.CustID)=" & me.[txtCustID] & " AND tblPrices.available=False" & _

Edit: you may need to cater for when a user types something then backspaces to clear the entry so there is a zls or null value, note also the change for "*" to '*'
    Edit2: perhaps make it conditional on users typing more than three characters or trigger a timer event on each keypress and if no further timing after say 1/2 second (timer interval=500) the timer event populates the combo rowsource
    Hi Ajax, sorry for delay in coming back, had a few other things to resolve. So I have corrected that issue now, the error was the format for the txtCustID I was adding, but have fixed this now.

The issue now I have is that when I type a name into the combo, I have a few issue, nothing is populated in the drop down as I type (maybe not an issue is the user clicks enter it does show values in the dropdown), however, on clicking enter, I get a message box box stating that the value entered is not in the list:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comboNoInList.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	47122

I am thinking I could add something to not show the message box, currently I have now value in the notinlist event:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notinlist.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	47123

But then for the next line item, the combo does not filter the values by the entered text, so I think that is what you are referring to in the timer event, to repeater the method for the first row?

I can see the timer function, but not sure what I would add?

many thanks for the advise.

according to the code you have posted you have not used the change event, you have used the dirty event. Fix that first

Windows 10 Office 365
    I have changed that now to onChange, I had been testing with other settings trying to resolve

your message appears to be a custom one - so you need to find out what triggers it - it may be settings - field is required, or combo limit to list immediately come to mind, or perhaps some code in the control or form before update event or another control

Windows 10 Office 365
    For the combo box, the events are just the AfterUpdate and OnChange

Code:
    Private Sub cboProducts_AfterUpdate()Dim strFilter As String

DoCmd.OpenQuery "TempCustomerPriceCheck2"

strFilter = "ProductID=" & Me!cboProducts
                Me!price = DLookup("price", "Temppricecheck", strFilter)
                Me!units = DLookup("unitsID", "temppricecheck", strFilter)
        Me.CustID = Forms!frmOrderPlacement!txtcustID

Me.txtqty.SetFocus

End Sub

Private Sub cboProducts_Change()
    cboProducts.RowSource = "SELECT DISTINCTROW tblPrices.productID, products.Item, tblPrices.price, tblinventory.Sumofqty, tblPrices.CustID, tblPrices.available" & _
                          " WHERE products.Item Like '*' & [cboProducts].text & '*' AND tblPrices.CustID=Forms!frmOrderPlacement!txtcustID AND tblPrices.available=False" & _
    End Sub
    This allows standard products to use 'custom' pricing for the current customer.

I have tried in the
    Code:
    Private Sub cboProducts_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    End Sub
    but this does not work and the alert still pops up, the filtering works fine for the next product, I just need to stop this message box appearing now?

and your settings?

Windows 10 Office 365
    can you clarify where you mean in terms of settings please?

where you mean in terms of settings please?
    the combo properties
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2022-01-26_143930.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	47164

Windows 10 Office 365
    thanks for that feedback. very strange thing going on, as I have a version of the frontend that that the combo works perfectly as required, not not in list message, and each row allows for a new search entry.

But I have another backup version, that was just a copy of that form, and it shows the pop up not in list message. I am going to check and compare both, but looks like its working now. so thanks so much for your help on this

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hey Ajax,

Sorry to open this again, but today, for some reason, and I have no idea why, I am getting the pop alert message again now. I have checked those settings as suggested and all set as recommended, but today this popup has started again!

Can you suggest something for the 'is not in list' event handler that would stop it?

sorry no. Suggest you upload a copy of your db - remove tables/forms etc not relevant to your question, compact then zip before uploading. Populate with dummy data if you need to

Windows 10 Office 365
    so have added the following and seems to work, just need to test now:

Private Sub cboProducts_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
    Response = acDataErrContinue
    Me.cboProducts.Dropdown
    End Sub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.