Tuckejam is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Tabbed vs Overlapping views

I just had to open a copy of the northwind.db to look at something and it came up with the standard tabbed view format.
    the reason I was in northwind was to look at how two queries interacted with each other, and I needed to change it to overlapping view so I could have multiple things open at the same time.

now for a long time I had just assumed it was a personal preference on how to view things, but this got me thinking and wondering, what is the point of tabbed view?

I couldn't come up with a single reason it would be preferable to be limited to viewing a single object at a time.

just curious if i am missing some aspect of the tabbed view that makes things easier, or if it is just because I am still new to access and db that I need the multiple views to see whats going on.

thanks for any thoughts

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    - you have a form and its underlying table open. You're stepping through code and refreshing the table but when you want to go from one to the other, one of them is always on top. A larger window can completely cover the one you want to see, meaning you have to minimize or move before you can even activate. Easier to switch tabs. Beyond that, I don't see much advantage and prefer the look and capabilities of overlapping.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    From a development perspective, tabbed view is a PITA. From a user perspective, it is similar functionality to a web browser which has a certain familiarity. If the tabs allowed multiple instances of a form, it would be even closer to web browser functionality. Unfortunately they don't. If you need that, you need to use popups....

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Agree with the above comments, I have customers with legacy databases that are designed around tabbed forms and developing in them is a real PITA.

I never use them if I'm building from scratch, I control where windows appear and size them so they always are in a sensible position when they are opened.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Another vote for overlapping windows. The first thing I do when creating a new database is to change to that setting.
    It really should be possible to save that as the default setting. As it is, I often use a template dB with it set.

The only real benefit I've heard was by Albert Kallal who suggested using tabbed documents with the tabs hidden.
    He then uses back/forward buttons to navigate between forms as in a browser.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.