Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Query Editor, Form Explorer, Rowsource editor

QueryAndFormExplorer-davegri-v01.zip

Example use: The actual Download will have none of these sample objects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE.png 
Views:	446 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	46936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QE.png 
Views:	442 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	46937

Microsoft should have provided enhanced query editing functionality to Access years ago, but has as yet not done so.

Any Access database with a dozen or more queries or a few forms with various comboboxes and listboxes can become
    a struggle to organize during development as changes to tables, object names, adding new lookup tables and the like occur. This
    utility will consolidate the management of queries and form combos and listboxes into one place for significant
    improvement of convenience and accuracy.

To use the utility, simply copy the 3 forms to your project.
    An ideal way to automate the copying is to save the utilitly as a .accdt (template) file. It will then
    be available via the ribbon CREATE > APPLICATION PARTS which allows you to instantly copy
    template objects into your DB, new or old. Check it out; Bing or Google, it's very handy.

The Utility consists of 3 forms. The 3 forms contain all the necessary VBA for the project, so there are no code modules or macros.
    The main form has 2 tabs, each containing an additional form, one for queries and the other for forms.
    The 'Query Explorer' tab can speed the viewing, editing and creation of query SQL in your project.
    The 'Form Explorer' tab can speed the viewing, editing and creation of SQL strings or value lists used as the
    rowsource for combo boxes and listboxes on your forms. You can hover over some controls for tips.

Nothing is changed in your DB unless you click the 'Update Query', 'Update Control' or possibly 'Test the SQL' buttons.

The form sizes are optimized so that monitors with 768 vertical resolution will display without
    scroll bars. It may be necessary to use CTRL+F1 to toggle the ribbon to provide needed vertical space.

I realize there might be additional functionality included in the utility such as a global search of all form control's rowsources
    in the DB, but with additional functionality comes additional user interface and complexity.
    In many cases, added complexity actually reduces usability for users instead of enhancing it, so I set limits.
    Last edited by davegri; 12-27-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Explain sample data

Thank you Dave, and for the accdt tip.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Thanks Dave. Amazing how M$oft can introduce things in 2010 and they remain hidden until (almost) 2022.

Intro to Application Parts youtube
    I was pretty hasty in just assuming Application Parts would be easy to Google. I've been using it for years and just assumed it was pretty much common knowledge. Apparently not. I've just spent half an hour looking for good links and found none.
    Your suggested link doesn't display properly with my browser, giving 404 bad link errors.

So if anyone can suggest a good link on how to create (not just use) Application Parts in Access, it would be very helpful here.

Meanwhile the short answer, using my download in Post#1, open it and save it as a template file from the backstage (file menu). That should open a dialog form. The only required
    entry is the name at the top and the checkbox for Application Parts near the bottom. Leave Category as 'User Templates'. If you fill in Description, it will appear as a hover tip. Click OK
    and close the DB.

Then in any database you open, from the ribbon "Create > Application Parts" should show the name you gave. Click that and the three forms will be instantly copied to your DB.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That link worked for me. In fact, it's the first one in my list when I googled "application parts in Access".
    I've never created one of these so I'd have to read up on it to see what the real benefit is. I suppose it's to make the same objects available to every db that will conform to that design? So far, all I've ever done is to create a form with every control on it that I might use, format them and then just copy & paste from that form. I suppose AP's are useful if forms, reports and the like will have the same "theme" from one db to another?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm currently building what I am calling 'Access Studio'. Similar functionality to SS Management Studio. Can take any back end or front end, format sql text and add comments. double click to insert table and field names. Execute all or partial queries and view results on the same screen.

It's still a WIP but here is a screenshot. Final product will look a bit different.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	440 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	46939

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm currently building what I am calling 'Access Studio'. Similar functionality to SS Management Studio. Can take any back end or front end, format sql text and add comments. double click to insert table and field names. Execute all or partial queries and view results on the same screen.
    Darn right. If MS won't give us tools, we can make our own.

Appears you need to have a version later than 2007
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Minty is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Both of these look fantastic.
    I spend 2/3 of my time in SSMS and it's a massive step down coming back to access for complicated queries if necessary.

As a result I end up writing a lot of views, both for editable linking and speed of execution.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Interestingly I was planning to create a short video explaining how to use ACCDT template files and application parts, precisely because there is so little info about them, particularly related to application parts.
    The feature was introduced in A2010 but is, I believe, little used. Yet it is a very useful and powerful tool.

The most useful article I've found is in Access help or here as a Web version https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rs=en-us&ad=us
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Colin,
    Please do. There is so little info and it seems a useful feature if properly described. I was just searching youtube again for Application Parts and found only 2 videos - neither very helpful. The link you provided is quite current.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Will do. Hopefully within the next week or so.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks Dave.
    I've ignored Application Parts on the ribbon since probably day 1 as it didn't appear to have anything in it that appealed to me. This is a game changer.
    I'm gonna be busy for the next few hours, if not days.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by moke123 View Post
    Thanks Dave.
    I've ignored Application Parts on the ribbon since probably day 1 as it didn't appear to have anything in it that appealed to me. This is a game changer.
    I'm gonna be busy for the next few hours, if not days.
    Well, unexpectedly, my mention of it in post#1 has hijacked my own thread! But not to worry. I think it's an important and ignored feature of Access the needs light of day.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    But you've taught some old dogs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-28 145537.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	46944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-28 145609.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	46945 and a cat Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-28 145630.png 
Views:	432 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	46946 new tricks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2021-12-28 145500.png  
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.