D-Train is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Here is what is currently being used to display the product images:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asset Details screenshot.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	46911

Yes all of the images reside in the same folder on the local hard drive. I keep trying to tweak things and my database is getting FUBAR. I get strange error messages that I have no idea what they mean. Most of them seem to occur when I'm using one of the most recent copies of the database (the ones close to the 2GB limit) so I'm chalking it up to that.
    Again, it should be obvious right now that I have no idea what I'm doing and need some simpler instructions. Even telling me "OK, build a query to..." make me break out in hives. LOL

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It would help if you directly answered questions.

Do image objects in attachment field have same names as image files stored in folder?

Sometimes even just Compact & Repair will not reduce db size. Might have to decompile/recompile. Might even have to import all to a new db file.

What is average size of images? If less than 50kb, might not be much impact on db file size. So, if you really have hit 2GB limit even without images in table, migration may be best. Requires removing the Attachment field. Need a table for the images that will link to the ID field of parent table.

The query I instructed earlier to build is simple. Open query builder in Design View, select table, drag fields to grid or double click field.

Start with the SELECT statement described earlier. Modify the ID field with CLng() function. This is to prevent field being created as an Autonumber type in new table. Click MAKE TABLE on ribbon, give a name such as Images for new table. Click RUN on ribbon.

Or copy/paste directly into SQL View and modify field and table names as needed. Then click RUN.

The SQL should look like:
    SELECT CLng(ID) AS AssetID, Attachments.FileName INTO Images FROM Assets;
    Last edited by June7; 12-22-2021 at 06:00 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi June, sorry if I'm being obtuse. LOL

"Do image objects in attachment field have same names as image files stored in folder?"

Yes

"If there is only one image in attachment field, is there a field in table that corresponds to the image file name?

If I'm understanding your meaning I don't believe so. Check this out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachments.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	46912

All that being said I think I've found a temporary resolution to my problems. I use an image viewer called Irfanview. I have it setup to display my images to gill the screen from top to bottom, regardless if the image is smaller or much larger than that. So I wasn't realizing just how big my images are, Most of them are only displaying at about 20% of their real size. So most images are about 4000-5000 pixels tall. If I go into my database and open these attachments and resize them to 1000 pixels tall that's about 1/5th of their original size, but only taking up about 1/10th of the disk space. I've done this on about 100 records so far, then compact and repair database and the database has gone down in size about 100MB. I'm convinced that this is necessary anyways because I really don't need my images to be that big and they are filling up my database vert quickly. If I go through and resize all of my images I'm convinced my database will go down to about 500MB total size at most, then I just need to remember to resize my images ahead of time going forward and this database will be usable for years to come.

Of course your solution will be a much slicker and more sensible solution but is a bit beyond my capabilities at this time. I just bought a Kindle book on Access 365 and it sucks. Good thing I only paid $2.99 for it. LOL

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Did a lot of edits on my previous post. Might review again.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Perhaps your forms/reports and their controls contain embedded images as well? There is a system table for that.
    Perhaps you also have too many similar queries/reports/tables? Like basically the same query but you have one for each week, month, quarter, year, department or something like that? How many objects altogether (tables/queries/forms/reports)?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks June and Micron for taking the time to try to help this plebe, but for now I've realized I'm at fault here and I'm my own worse enemy. I'm going to just resize all of my images and solve my problem that way. It's more likely that I won't trash my database by dinking with things when I have no idea what I'm doing. I also need to invest in a good book on Access 365. I've got a couple of other questions but I'll start an new thread for those. Thanks again fellas for your help. It's greatly appreciated!!!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're welcome and good luck with your project.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.