Glenley is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

New member, looking for VBA classes

Hi everybody, new member here. Been using Access for about 8 months now. I’ve started learning VBA and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good educational resources such as courses, free videos, or literature. I’m currently using Access Learning Zone and its great but there are some concepts that I need some more in depth explanation on. Thanks in advance

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Depends on how you like to learn. I prefer a book - something I can read in order, skip back/forward, bookmark, put down & pick up again where I left off, etc. I think I am dating myself there. However, once becoming somewhat adept at it, I confess that Google is my go to route, but that's because most of the time I need a reminder or an adjunct and not a full blown tutorial. I know that if you Google for Access Bible and look hard you can find older pdf versions to download. The thing with VBA is that not much has changed over the years, so even if you find a 2003 version you'd be well on your way. That assumes that books are your thing, of course.

Others will recommend Steve Bishop videos. If I google ms access video tutorials and restrict results to videos, I only get 16 million hits, so kinda sparse, no?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you post a question on whatever concept you need explained we can point you in the right direction, if not one of us explaining it.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Office 365
    Yes, that’s kind of why I was asking. There’s so much info out there it can be a little daunting. I’m mostly just fishing for people’s testimonies on what worked for them. I’m perfectly fine with reading books but i tend to learn better with hands on material. I appreciate the response

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I’m mostly just fishing for people’s testimonies on what worked for them
    When I first started doing more in Access than just querying ODBC tables for work related maintenance decision data I didn't know how to raise a message box in VBA. If you know that, you know more than I did when I started. Perseverance is the key I think. One thing you might add to your arsenal of learning methods is to follow posts here. All kinds of people are having real-world issues, and the answers might be more valuable than books or vids that deal with what the instructor wants to cover. The exception might be a vid channel devoted to Access because they often respond to common requests. It seems that your goal is to avoid using macros to do everything, and I'd say that's a step in the right direction.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Yes, I have used macros quite a lot but since I’ve started learning VBA I don’t use them at all anymore. I do have a basic level understanding of VBA but there are some areas that definitely need improvement. I know these things take time but I’m trying to build a quality DB for the company I work for and my lack of expertise is the only thing holding it back. It does appear that I’ve come to the right place though.

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    As time goes on you tend to learn what search terms get the right hits when you google them. Becomes a lot easier.

I learned using the forums and one thing that helped me was downloading all the examples and figuring out how it was done.

Enjoy those "Aha!" moments when something finally makes sense to you. They're the best.

Edit: jeez, Now I'm reminiscing about loops, recursive,dictionaries, custom classes, withevents, . . .
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have a list of articles and tutorials in this link. Several database/Access related topics not only vba.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you. I’ll check out those links

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.